Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a TT-33 Tokarev from Classic Arms and so far have had nothing but problems. The safety was installed backwards, which I realized after a short while of completely baffled looks and a full disassembly and have already corrected. Everything was finally looking good today and I decided to finally take it out to the range, only to find that the magazine will kind of stay in sometimes but generally will just fall out the bottom of the gun. I think the magazine catch might be broken, or stuck, or something (looking down the magazine well you wouldn't even notice something was supposed to be jutting out at all) and am hoping if I can get in and get a better look at it I might be able to turn this into a usable gun. Other than the problems with the function, its otherwise beautiful and accurate (I held in the magazine and fired off a few rounds anyway).

Anyway, on with the actual question: How the heck do I remove the magazine catch!?

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As a side note, the hammer assembly has some space allowing movement back and forth while sitting in the frame. I was thinking it might be possible that it isn't applying enough pressure on the magazine, any thoughts? I've never owned a pistol similar to this so for all I know this is completely normal, but any thoughts
on this would be much appreciated.

-Thanks

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I have a feeling you're right. I'd just hate to deal with shipping things back and forth for an issue which may have been caused by a $5 part. We shall see. Thanks for the post.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been tinkering with the tok for a while now. I'll give the mag filing a try once I take a look at the catch outside of the pistol. I've also been wondering if maybe there is too much travel for the hammer assembly, it has some travel space back and forth while it is sitting on the rail. I can move it slightly back and forth while its seated, if I hold it forward while its in its position the mags click into place properly, do you think this could be the problem? For all I know this is normal, most of my collecting has been with bolt action rifles, I'm not nearly as familiar with pistols and this design in particular is all new to me. Let me know if that kind of travel sounds wrong to you or if it should just be expected, meanwhile I'm going to try filing a mag (I have 2 mags, neither of which click into place) and popping out the catch to take a closer look.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I think I must be doing something wrong trying to take out the mag catch. I fabricated a forked tool to try to force out the wings. Just to check, am I supposed to be pushing the ends in between the catch's wings and the wall in the well to force it together?

If anyone has any pictures of how to properly do it, they would be much appreciated.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome, I finally managed to knock out the mag catch! It's hard to tell whether or not there is a problem with it. The edge seems to have been ground down a bit (no bluing left), but I don't know whether or not it was enough to impact the function of the gun like I've experienced. I'm going to take one of the mags and file it down to see if that's the issue (like you suggested). Worst that could happen is I need to replace a mag and tok mags are cheap enough so it's worth the experiment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.