Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I just bought a Springfield trapdoor with a solid steel rod jammed down the center of the barrel. The price was fine just for a wall hanger but i'd like to get the rod out no matter what. Cant think of anyway, but to remove the barrel. I know the tang unscrews but i believe the barrel will have to come of anyway. I cant find a action wrench for it. I have some experience rebarreling, but not a trap door. Any on the point advice regarding barrel removal would be helpful.
thanks scott

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Remove the breech block, takedown lever, extractor spring and plunger before even thinking about trying to remove the barrel. Be careful when removing the extractor,extractor spring and plunger. That little spring can launch the spring and plunger into outer space never to be seen again. Best to stick a towel or heavy wash rag over these parts before removal. Don't ask how I know this. 74 year old knees don't take kindly to crawling on the floor with a flashlight. Frank

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its all taken down and i have everything. That being said when i look in the parts bag i bet something is missing. I believe the barrel is full of lead and that/s not coming out. The rifle looks unfired other than that. Did anyone years ago sell Trapdoors with the barrels filled solid?
thanks
scott

·
Registered
223 Posts
" I believe the barrel is full of lead "...............a propane torch, applied gently' can remove this without damage to the rifle.

·
Registered
223 Posts
"621.5 F lead melts at. Will that de temper the barrel. "..............most 'solder' melts at about 400 deg. (some as low as 320 deg.). most steels will start to 'temper' at bout 600 deg.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I would entertain sourcing a replacement barrel. They are out there.
Or, you could entertain yourself by trying to clean out that Pb filled pipe. Odds are it's a pitted mess and will be harder yet to clean.
If it's filled completely that's one thing but if there is just a couple of inches of Pb then some time and effort spent may yield you something useable. That couple of inches could be mostly removed by drilling in increments in a basic lathe set up??
Then the heat will work pretty well for what is left then use a Lewis Lead Remover kit for the final cleanup. The LLR's are a minor miracle in Pb removal in revolvers and pistols. And there are homemade solutions that will give good results. But the greatest part of the Pb should be manually removed for the above to finish up the job. A labor of luv if you like to tinker.........?
Post-mortem report requested.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,863 Posts
It may not be lead, Try boiling water first. I fixed a rolling block for a mother that did not want her son to have a gun. His grand fathers, Too young, he could hurt himself, etc. Well after he got older and back from Iraq, he had it over the mantle. He thought it was ruined.....no it was Cerrosafe chamber casting alloy.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i don't know what it is to be honest. i'm stumped. It is hard as hell, will not even drill. I put some heat to it just for laughs and cosmoline melted out of it. It you looked at this barrel and receiver it looks unfired. Perfect original unmarked blueing. I'm usually a fix it at all cost guy, but on this one, i think a new barrel is the only answer. shame. Once the barrel is off i'll put it on a lathe and will see what i can do with hard bits. Where im going to find a barrel is another problem.
thanks for your help. scott

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats one of those useless forum comments i tried to ovoid with my question. it just needs a barrel. there are 3 on e-bay now.
sorry

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
18,460 Posts
thats one of those useless forum comments i tried to ovoid with my question. it just needs a barrel. there are 3 on e-bay now.
sorry
That was my perspective, and it does not match your goal.

Please continue with the rebarreling effort. Apologies.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
have to check myself, there is a piece of hardened steel on each end of the barrel. I drilled through the center of the piece at the crown and the bit broke and i scared the muzzle, About this time it has become clear that this rifle was brand new from an arsenal, never been fired. not a mark on the stock. Why didn't i just leave it alone. Because i have to shoot it no matter what its a sickness.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I think you are on the right track. I wish I could help. Moral support?

All I can add, once you determine how to hold the receiver and get the barrel off you can try a bit more. At that point you will have a replacement barrel in hand. You also can go nuts working to remove the plug on the current barrel.

IMHO - You are not crazy or sick, a gun that wont shoot is no more than an assembly of parts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts