Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if someone can tell me how to remone the safety switch on the cz-52? I have been asking alot of questions lately. I am new to this pistol and want to know as much as I can. Any help would be greatly apreciated. Thank you. John

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
Safety

First, remove the grip panels by popping the spring clip that retains them off. Lacking one of my Grip clip flippers,

work a thin flat screwdriver up between the backstrap of the frame and the clip, and carefully lever it back and off.

These clips break very easily.

You can also work the clip off from the ends with a coin or a cartridge rim; just try not to scratch the grips.
When the clip comes loose, it is apt to fly on you, so arrange for it to hit something soft in a conveniently close area.

If the grips stick, put a pinky finger up inside the magazine well and poke them outward and off.

The top of the left grip panel is about all that holds the safety in.

Then turn the safety lever straight down and gently pull the lever and attached drum out.

Watch out that the helical spring that engages the detents (little notches) around the drum and makes it "snap" into the safe and fire positions does not drop out and get lost or get out of position.

This same spring draws down on the magazine release / slide catch bar with it's other end, and can be a little tricky to get back in properly.

The hammer pivot screw hole is right next to the red dot for the safety.

The safety goes into the larger hole a bit below and to the left of that.
The longer bent leg of the spring lays along the bottom of that hole in a little groove.

The helical coil of the spring rests in the next hole in the frame to the left, with it's shorter bent leg hooked over the end of the slide release lever. In the picture, the lever has been removed and the spring rests in the bottom of the triangular hole where the slide catch tab passes into the frame.

If you are having problems with your safety, chances are that it is an issue with one of the springs rather than the safety assembly itself.
If the leg of the spring that goes along the bottom of the safety drum hole gets a little out of whack, it may jam or lock it up, or it could lead to a sloppy safety that won't stay on it's setting.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
safety switch

Thanks Uncle Jaque. I am just trying to replace the spring. But I am having a bit of a hard time removing the safety seems to be in there really tight. It won't just slide out. I will work at it untill I get it out. Thank you. John

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
safety switch

Well no luck getting it out. Tried and tried seems somethings holding it in. From what you said there shouldn't be but it seems like it. Should I try to tap it out from the other side? John

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
safety

Anybody have an idea what to do here. Switch should come out but does not even when tapped from pther side. From what Uncle Jaque said it should just come out. But for some reason it will not. John

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
safety switch

Ok I have removed the side plate,hammer,hammer sring etc hoping this would help. It has not. I have wiggled and wiggled trying to remove the safty and and am at a dead end. I have even tried tapping it from the other side with the plate off. Nothing. I would hope that someone knows why this won't work. It has been a couple days and no responce from anyone who may have had the same thing happen to them. I hope there is someone who knows what is wrong here. I am at a loss. John

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
safety switch

Well like I had stated earlier. The safety did not just slide out. I had to take everything apart on it before it came out. I don't know why but that is the way it worked out. I would like to thank Uncle Jaque for his help on this and hope that a moderator will see why his shop notes would be a great sticky.thanks again. John

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
Whoa!

Sorry you had so much angst on that job - I've been out of this forum for a while, sorry to have left you hangin'!

I'll have to review my notes and make sure that I didn't overlook something. It's been a while since I actually gutted my Czech O Matic so I might have forgotten one of those little details.

Probably transcribing my henscratched field notes and brushing up my rough sketches might help!

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
Ahah!

I think I just found it - it seems that the SEAR is what retains the safety (forgot about that, I guess) and that needs to come out before the safety, and the safety has to go back in before the sear.

Good thing you didn't beat on that safety too much - might've busted the sear!

Like I say; I've been away from the CZ-52 for a while...

There are definitely some gaps in my "Shop Notes" article that I really ought to try to fill in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts