Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about wrapping in a couple layers of newspaper to catch the melted grease then cover in 4mil black plastic sheeting and setting out in the bright sun on the arms of a chair.

A friend said to use mineral spirits but I don't like that idea. Anyone have a sure fire way to do the job w/o bleaching the stock?

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I've personally used both methods, I find either works well though the black trash bag method can take a little longer

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I would probably do both. Take the surface cosmoline off with the mineral spirits and then bake in the sun to sweat out additional. Then wipe down again with the mineral spirits.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have one that has so much cosmoline soaked into the stock that it is still leeching out years later. Tried the mineral spirits route and that only removed the surface crud. Everytime I take it out and it starts to warm up the cosmoline starts oozing out of every pore. I refer to it as the grease gun. I'll have to try the trash bag method. At least I know it will never rust!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have used boiling water with Simple Green to de-gunk Mosins. Boil up a pot of water, take it outside and pour the water and Simple Green all over it. That's basically what they did in the field back in the day.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
The US, during WW11 used gasoline, there are pictures of them cleaning M1' s in Northern Irland and heading says gasoline was used. I use it for the metal parts, mineral spirts for wood or hot soapy water scub if I am going to refinish.
I do not think what is ozzing out is really cosmoline but rather oil finish and gun oil which was applied over the years by troops. I have had M1 rifles ozze oil during a match when heated up. It was not cosmoline, which is a heavy grease and does not soak in unless melted. M1 stocks were finished by immersion in hot linseed oil vats.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have one that has so much cosmoline soaked into the stock that it is still leeching out years later. Tried the mineral spirits route and that only removed the surface crud. Everytime I take it out and it starts to warm up the cosmoline starts oozing out of every pore. I refer to it as the grease gun. I'll have to try the trash bag method. At least I know it will never rust!
This is the problem I have , leaching cosmoline out of the wood. The trash bag method didn't work any better than the bare rifle sitting directly in the hot sun.

Bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.