Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Wipe off as much excess as you can. Then remove barrel and action and clean with mineral spirits.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had great luck with wrapping it lots of paper towels then plastic and putting it in a bath tub with hot water for a hour or so. I cranked the water heater temp up, just don't forget to turn it back down. I went this rout with a 24/47 and it took about a week to get it spiffy. I wanted to try this one without any chemicals. Granted, the yugo was hot dipped, so the Cosmo was very thick and still juicy in the hard to reach places. Fun stuff!! Good luck!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thx for the replies. went to my local Ace hardware and found some industrial degreaser solution.....made quick work out of it. hit it with a power washer wiped it down and treated it with clp....looks good.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Here's how I get the cosmoline out of M44 size carbines:

First: wait until the wife is not home.
Second: remove all of the cosmoline-coated metal, and put it into wife's dishwasher
Third: run heavy duty cycle with extra soap full wash cycle until the start of the drying cycle.
Fourth: remove, dry and oil spotlessly clean metal parts.
Fifth: deny any knowledge of the odd, brown ring around the inside of the dishwasher.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Wipe off as much excess as you can. Then remove barrel and action and clean with mineral spirits.
This is an excellent method! Newspaper or the paper-type paper towels to get the heavy stuff. Toothbrush helps too. I use an old rag and wipe it off after a tooth brush dipped in mineral spirits cleaning. One can even take the small bolt parts and put them in a gatorade jug or something and put a little mineral spirits in it. Slosh or shake around, let sit and soak a bit, and repeat. There are many ways but I have found mineral spirits to work the best. Slosh some on an old rag too and wipe down the stock if it's got cosmo on it too.

·
Registered
479 Posts
On the metal I use hot tap water, a grease cutter and a brush. Then dry, blow out hard to reach areas and CLP it. Works great. I've tried boiling the worst stuff ever - the dipped Czech/Yugo grease. Some comes off but stuff caught up in the trigger (Mauser), bolt release and other hard to clean areas aren't touched. But, it removes the vast majority of grease, at least it appears to. Always have some of that brown stain on my rag after applying CLP.

·
Administrator
12,310 Posts
Many moons ago my FFL was cleaning surplus guns by dunking them in a barrel full of gasoline. After a day in gasoline bath they are clean I'm tellin' ya!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I capped q pvc pipe added boiling water then inserted the metal parts, once the cosmo floats away then clean traditionally. Heat gun or bbq grill on the stock, if you have dents the dishwasher can fix some of them................... Is it sad that the smell of cosmoline to me smells like Victory?

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,566 Posts
This is an excellent method! Newspaper or the paper-type paper towels to get the heavy stuff. Toothbrush helps too. I use an old rag and wipe it off after a tooth brush dipped in mineral spirits cleaning. One can even take the small bolt parts and put them in a gatorade jug or something and put a little mineral spirits in it. Slosh or shake around, let sit and soak a bit, and repeat. There are many ways but I have found mineral spirits to work the best. Slosh some on an old rag too and wipe down the stock if it's got cosmo on it too.
Mineral spirits for me too if there is a lot to take off, Doesn't dissolve your shellac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,035 Posts
Varsol vat. It's grease. Not some magical military potion. Clean it like you would any other grease.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.