Subject: Removal of mono pod
Posted on: 08/15/2007 8:52:15 PM
How do you remove a type 99 mono pod from its barrel band?? Thanks

Replies:

Reply author: Ronin48
Replied on: 08/15/2007 9:38:30 PM

Reply author: sssniper
Replied on: 08/15/2007 9:47:58 PM
Iron, please don't take this wrong, but if you can't figure out how to remove the monopod yourself you shouldn't be alowed to collect guns. Plus why do you want to remove it? Most of us are trying to replace them?? Anyway if you must know, remove the horseshoe spring first, just the nut & bolt and it falls right off. Then drive the pin that holds the monopod on the barrelband out. Monopod will then come right off. Then email me and I will take it off your hands. Doss, nice "hacksaw or wire cutters" ha ha! I hope I cought Iron before he followed your suggestion!! ha ha! Skid

Reply author: IRON BUTTERFLY
Replied on: 08/15/2007 10:27:53 PM
First,For your information I can collect if I want to unless your against democracy!!Second I have never removed one,have you?I tried to tap out the retention pin but it didnt budge so I stopped to ensure no damage was done untill I got some FRIENDY advice from someone who has actually performed that task before.Third It dosent matter if I was switching it to an all matching type 99 with a full mum or was using it for a tomato stake.And lastly it is smart/know it all attitudes that can turn off future potential collectors that could keep the interest going for many more years.

Reply author: Dieter
Replied on: 08/15/2007 10:37:58 PM
IRON - no need to worry - this is a bunch of good, knowledgable people. My introduction to this board was harsh too, but that's because this group is very protective of these pieces of history and I was on a path contrary to that - as sssniper stated, don't take it the wrong way!

Reply author: sssniper
Replied on: 08/16/2007 12:19:51 AM
Whew, Iron, you need to lighten up! Yes, I have removed several (usually to steighten out the legs) and just installed one less than three weeks ago. At least I didn't tell you to use a hacksaw, and did tell you exactly how to remove the monopod without damage. And I was serious as to why you wanted to remove it in the first place. And no, 6 years in the Corps and 23 months in VN pretty much proves where I am at. Sorry, to have ruined your day - Skid

Reply author: Mike Rockhill
Replied on: 08/16/2007 01:12:42 AM
The one and only one I removed was a pain also. To drive the pin holding the pod to the band out I rigged it up in a vice (emphasis on rigged) and use the vice's mechanical advantage to drive the pin out. It was a while ago and I don't remmber the exact set up, but you get the idea.

Reply author: pt460
Replied on: 08/16/2007 01:46:48 AM
The one I tried to INSTALL was a pain as well. I gave up. I have a 20-ton press now, so I maybe that would be a help. Haven't tried since I had the press.

Reply author: albacore
Replied on: 08/16/2007 01:53:16 AM

quote: Originally posted by IRON BUTTERFLY
And lastly it is smart/know it all attitudes that can turn off future potential collectors that could keep the interest going for many more years.
sssniper is actually the one who got me into collectinig and these boards. His quick and helpful responses to my first post got me to go buy my first rifle, an original and complete non-refurb Tula 91/30 PU sniper with SVT scope for $400. After that, I started really looking around these boards. Now, a year later, I've got an empty bank account, but some really neat rifles from Russia, Japan, Finland, Germany, Romania, China, Japan, and Poland.

For something more on topic, how much are monopods going for today? I came really close to buying one at a gunshow last weekend. Maybe Edokko ended up getting it.

Reply author: HowdyDoody
Replied on: 08/16/2007 07:47:07 AM
I have never removed a pod, but I have installed two. the hinge pin is extremly tight. I used a 10 ton shop press. Probably doesn't need to be that big, but steady pressure is better than pounding on it.

It makes a difference whether you put it in left to right or right to left. I forget now which. somebody that knows, jump in here.

You will need a smaller pin for a pusher. I used a needle roller bearing from an old automotive U joint. Good luck.

jim

Replied on: 08/16/2007 07:54:13 AM
Thanks Mike and PT for the info!! I'm going back to the drawing board and try it again.I would like to give it a shot of kroil but it may make it to slippery for the punch.Iron

Reply author: 03man
Replied on: 08/16/2007 08:22:04 AM
Soak it for a day or two with oil. Support the band well, use a taper punch with the head ground to slightly undersize of the pin to start, and a big hammer. Helps if you have someone else to hold the punch :)

All that said, why not just remove the whole band assembly? or is it on one of those pesky rifles with the tall front sight?

Reply author: Ronin48
Replied on: 08/16/2007 08:27:03 AM
My answer was not that far off base. I have two, one from Tarawa and one from China, that a hack saw or wire snippers were used to remove the wire pod, leaving the ends protruding from the pod "block."

Once the screw holding the spring is removed along with the spring it is obvious that the pod is held on with a pin. On 99s a sight pin is removed by driving it from right to left. Don't remember if this is true with the pod pin.

Reply author: 03man
Replied on: 08/16/2007 08:58:46 AM

Reply author: BradB
Replied on: 08/16/2007 10:23:11 AM
It is far easier to keep the pod on the barrel band and swap as a unit if that is what you are going for.

Replied on: 08/16/2007 10:42:38 AM
Just got it removed and put on the 99 I wanted it on.Thanks for all the great help guys!!Iron

Reply author: Edokko
Replied on: 08/16/2007 11:42:52 AM
Albacore, you got uncanny intuition. I did get that monopod after slugging it out with CW over it. Cost me all of $65 (!!) with the still attached rear barrel band. But of course alongwith a torn shirt, a black eye and a lost shoe (boy that CW can really put up a fight).....

Reply author: jarjarbinks11
Replied on: 08/16/2007 11:58:45 AM
wow.....yo uguys use way too much force to remove a tiny little pin! like Don said, soak it in Kroil for a day and then go to it with a small punch and a deadblow hammer. ive never had one that was so hard to remove i needed to use a press on it. now a front sight....thats a different story!

Reply author: albacore
Replied on: 08/16/2007 2:44:06 PM

quote: Originally posted by Edokko
Albacore, you got uncanny intuition. I did get that monopod after slugging it out with CW over it. Cost me all of $65 (!!) with the still attached rear barrel band. But of course alongwith a torn shirt, a black eye and a lost shoe (boy that CW can really put up a fight).....
That's the same one I was looking at. That same guy had AA sights as well and some tang screws and other little parts. He wanted $75 from me.

Reply author: Mike Rockhill
Replied on: 08/16/2007 8:14:31 PM
well I spent alot of time using a hammer and puch on the monopod after many soakings in kroil. Believe me, I didn't go right to the vice. Once it started to move I went back to the hammer. It was a royal pain and I have no intention of doing it again. It was a waste, the patina of the pod didn't match up to the gun well enough for my taste,and it did't quite line up with the existing marks

© 2000-2006 Gunboards

1 - 1 of 1 Posts