Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Gew88 with different loadings last weekend at local range, trying to find proper loading for it. It was little hot side, found a couple of cases got horizontal cracks which turned out all Remington brass. set aside all Remington brass and continued with PPU brass as they were all okay for exactly the same load. is there any known flaw of the Remington brass? as PPU brass were all okay, I don't think there's any issue with the chamber of my Gew88. btwy, Remington brasss were reloaded about 4 times, while PPU brass were almost 8 times reloaded. am I missing something?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Can't say for sure. The failures seen in your photos is typical of worn out over worked brass. However, if only reloaded 4 times produced these failures normally I would say you have excessive head space. And you may. The PPU may just be a little thicker and have not reached failure point yet.

How often do you need to trim the OAL after full length resizing?

Motor

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,646 Posts
If you are firing those cartridges in just one rifle, neck size only during reloading.
Motor is spot on with his diagnosis.

I have found in general, the Remington brass is a bit on the thin side, and softer than most.
The soft brass allows more case stretching, leading to the case separations you are experiencing.

Take a paperclip, straighten it out, then bend a little L on the end.
Insert the tool into the fired cases, dragging the tip of the L along the case wall.
If there is case stretching, you will feel the tip getting caught in the thinned out ring on the case wall.

Gregg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.