Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Both my references state .50-70 caliber for a US Navy Remington Rolling Block Carbine manufactured between 1868 and 1869(Fjestad's Blue Book and Peterson's Standard Catalog of Military Firearms). About 5000 were made. Additionally, about 500 Model 1867 Navy CADET Rifles were made in .50-45. The Carbine had a 23 1/4" single band barrel, the Cadet Rifle had a 32 1/2" two band barrel. Both references mention either a "sling ring" or a "bar and ring" on the left side of the Carbine's frame. I would definitely look at all the above mentioned areas to determine if you have a true carbine or not, but dependent on exact barrel length, I would look at the muzzle crown very closely. Not to many folks who cut down a rifle can make a good rounded crown, and even if done properly, the patina is often different. One of the first things I look at in a nice carbine. Oh, references vary from a low of about $400 up to $2750 for the Cadet Rifle and $3500 for the Navy Carbine, if you can actually find a buyer "at book"!
V/R,
Mike

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
My apologies to OldRemGuy. What can I say, in the Navy they call me a F____ Nuke. We live and die by our references. Seems it has bled over into my civilian life, along with no where near enough humility. I stand corrected. Two learned gentlemen have taught me experience trumps unverified reference books. I should have known better as I've caught the Blue Book out before myself.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.