Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1911 that was accurized with a Bo-Mar sight which necessitated several tapped holes being made in the top of the slide. I want to replace the slide (or can the holes be welded?) and the main question is because it is a first generation slide does the replacement also need to be a first generation?
Thanks,
Al

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi Al, Too bad that the RR slide has those holes! It hurts the collector's value. As to your question of a replacement - any USGI M1911A1 slide, Colt, Ithaca or any Remington, will fit just fine. Of courese, again, collector value is diminished. The good news is that almost any "mixmaster" M1911A1 will bring $800-900.

Regards, Ray

PS: Don't worry about welding- the damage is done irt collector value. There are some experts that can restore these pistols to original spec. Don't know cost.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
I would leave it as is, at the most get screw plugs for the holes. Anything you do will cost and probably cut the value if it is possible to detect the work, unless you can find an original RR slide.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,406 Posts
Finding a vintage R-R slide shouldn't be a chore - lots of spare slides flaoting around, and since they (the slides) weren't serialized in War Two, pretty hard to tell that any given R-R slide WASN'T the one that came on the gun.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The tough part in finding a relacement RRand slide will be the finish match. If the finish doesn't match, any collector of M1911s and A1s will spot it in a second. You mention a 'first generation' slide...... are you referring to a Type I ?????? since there were 3 variants of RRands. A Type I slide would prove extremely difficult to source.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts