Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a late production Smith-Corona M1903A3 with a 4 groove barrel which is without a doubt one of the most accurate iron sighted rifles I have ever fired. The bolt operates so smoothly that it only takes two fingers to manipulate. My only complaint - and it's the same with all Springfields - is that the butt is a bit too short for me.

I was wondering if there is a consensus as to who made the better M1903A3 - Remington or Smith-Corona???

·
Registered
254 Posts
Krag, Since both factories made their rifles to a specific,contracted standard one would suppose that the product -at least functionally-was much the same. Having owned dozens of M1903 and M1903A3 rifles over the last four decades, I conclude that the Remington product is "better" from the standpoint of manufacturing quality-but only marginally. I,too fancy (actually "lust after" is more accurate) a S-C 6 groove but only because its a M1903A3 variation that I don't own.I doubt that there is a concensus to be reached in this debate -at least,without benefit of consumption of several adult beverages amongst the debaters.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I picked mine up about 10 years ago from a guy who was using it for high power matches...and doing very well. It was all original and in 99% condition, but he was building a match AR and needed funds quickly and took my first offer of $300. I guess I should have felt like a thief......but I didn't. (grin)

·
3,090 Posts
That wasn't a terribly bad price for the buyer or seller -- 10 years ago. Someone on one of the other forums bought a similar rifle for $250 today and I told him he'd better watch out - his portrait would show up on the walls of his local post office for grand theft!!:D

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have both an SC 03A3 and a Remington 03A3 and I have to give the edge in quality to Remington. Both are rebuilds but have original barrels and all correct parts. The bolt seems much smoother in operation in the Remington.

SC

Remington

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rick - don't you just hate people like that?

·
3,090 Posts
Nope -- I just lay down my trump cards - five aces!!

:D

(John, besides having some nice rifles also has me beat with his "several pictures in one" ability. He tried coaching me but.... Duh!!

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rick - you keep showing off like that and I'm going to ha.....oh, never mind!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts