Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find out what the authentic bayonet was for this rifle. It didn't have one when I bought it and I would like to get the correct one...does anyone have a pic so I can see what I need to get?

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,872 Posts
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Remington (and New England Westinghouse for that matter) were only contracted to manufacture the rifles. As such, I think any Model 1891 cruciform bayonet with locking ring would be correct for your rifle. There is a guy on eBay that sells them for a relatively reasonable price.

Tim

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,527 Posts
You are correct that any M91 lock ring bayonet would be correct "as used". However, NEW and Remington both made bayonets. I do not own but have seen Remington bayonets and they have a small circled R on them. I do own an NEW manufactured M91 bayonet and it has a letter with an arrow on the back and an eagle head stamp on the side. M91 bayonets by both of these manufacturers are very difficult to find. However; the search is 1/2 the fun right?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Well, I can't find it at the moment, but I have a "circled R"-marked lock-ring bayonet around here somewhere. Generally speaking, American-made Mosin bayonets are a tough find. Having said that, you will find one today! DDR

·
Registered
417 Posts
I found a Remington M91 bayonet a few years ago at a swap meet for $15. A lot of these bayonets were sold off in the 1960's as tent pegs for $.50 cents each!

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
I found a Remington M91 bayonet a few years ago at a swap meet for $15. A lot of these bayonets were sold off in the 1960's as tent pegs for $.50 cents each!

Great! I'll take a case!

Poot

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I think my favorite story regarding the demise of unused American made m91 bayonets was the freight ship with a hull full of them for ballast.
Unless your Remington M91 is "all Remington", there's no real need to insist on a Remington made bayonet. Any M91 locking ring bayonet would be fine. The Westinghouse made ones are among the most rare. Randy, look around in http://www.mosinnagant.net for more info.

·
Registered
11,683 Posts
pictures of a Remington bayonet

Here are two pics of my Remington made m/91 bayonet:

Regards

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
Beautiful. I'm not even a bayonet collector, and that's really nice.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
M91 Bayo

Here is a pic of my Rem M91 bayo - Now to find a wonderful condition(Pahtu gunshy of saying mint...LOL...) Remington M91 rifle!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
It'd be nice if someone were to give me an ®-stamped bayonet to match my beautiful Remington... (HINT!!1)

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Keep looking in antique stores in the US, there are plenty still out there! I guess that off hand I have a dozen or more Remington bayonets, and a few Westinghouse bayonets, most of them bought at flea markets, garage and estate sales, and antique stores.
There is a very famous photo of Remington Mosin Nagants on racks at the Remington factory, ready for packing into crates, each with it's own mounted serial numbered bayonet, in one of the Remington history books; Marcot's book, iirc. Westinghouse also made bayonets; the contract with the Russians included a bayonet and cleaning accessories to be provided with each and every rifle purchased. At Remington, making socket bayonets was old hat easy, after those hundreds of thousands of rolling block bayonets, so no problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 91/30 has a remmington BARREL AND RECEIVER, 1939 yr, and the standard locking pigsticker fits just fine.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
A good excuse to post some photos.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
gimme, gimme plzzzzzz

FGD135....care to send a one Remington and one Westinghouse my way...Hmmmm......plzz...jk......sorta...oh well I had to ask......

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Remington M91 bayonets are not very hard to find, really. A Westinghouse example is very elusive.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
If you find a nice Westinghouse bayo for 150, better jump on it. Uh, better BUY it, I mean.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
A few years back I ordered 30 M91 bayonets for $15 each from Interordnance; in that bunch were no real rarities, except for 5 Remingtons and a NEW. Oh and a bunch of early ones with 60 degree slots and stuff like that. No Chatelleraults, or Austrians, dang it. But a big pile of bayonets, almost enough for all my 91s that still lacked bayonets.
The real fun was trying to compare makers and sn's in the faint hope of matching one up to a rifle. No luck with that!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts