Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1915 Remington without a handguard. Can anyone direct me to a source for a Walnut handguard?

·
Registered
344 Posts
1915? Remington made them from 1916-1918.

M91 handguards are hard to come by and will generally cost around $200 for a spare. Your best bet will be to search Ebay and the likes until you find one that seems to match the wood on your rifle

·
Registered
972 Posts
As said above, the handguard of any M91 has become the hardest part to find and quite expensive as well. Finding a U.S. made walnut handguard will be harder still. I'd haunt eBay and GunBroker looking for a darker example and also put out a WTB add here on GB(beware of scammers) and hope that a member has one squirrelled away their willing to part with.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Any one have a good picture? I have some dark wood one in storage.
I am not sure of the wood or what they came off of.

Ron

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
17,307 Posts
If I sold them, then I would be looking for handguards for my seven Remington rifles. 😳

Now. Let's go back to the period pictures which often show the rifles in service without handguards (bayonets, slings), and remember that it is not always historically correct to add a handguard.

·
17,307 Posts
This one doesn't have a magazine. But it doesn't mean that I should buy one and install it.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
If I sold them, then I would be looking for handguards for my seven Remington rifles. 😳

Now. Let's go back to the period pictures which often show the rifles in service without handguards (bayonets, slings), and remember that it is not always historically correct to add a handguard.
But......as Remington M91's left the factory with a hand guard it would be historically correct to refit one surely?.

It wouldn't, in my humble opinion, be anywhere near the same as fitting a magazine to what I think is a Japanese single-shot trainer......that would be sacrilege!, same as re-Dragoon'ing an ex-Dragoon for example.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Martin brings up a good point. I have a Finn'd 1907 Izhevsk M91 that has no handguard. This rifle was part of a large group of milsurps that spent 25+ years in the basement of a retired FFL before being sold to a local shop after his death. These rifles were all still sealed in shipping boxes from Springfield Sporters and C.A.I. with shipping dates in the late 80's to early 90's so I find it highly likely that it left Finland without a handguard. Despite having a couple spares I've resisted the urge to put one on it due to this.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I went over to storage to get some other gun parts and while I was there I looked for my box(s) of spare M-N hand guards. I could not find them. I will look again next when I have more time.
sorry I can not help this time.
Ron

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Martin brings up a good point. I have a Finn'd 1907 Izhevsk M91 that has no handguard. This rifle was part of a large group of milsurps that spent 25+ years in the basement of a retired FFL before being sold to a local shop after his death. These rifles were all still sealed in shipping boxes from Springfield Sporters and C.A.I. with shipping dates in the late 80's to early 90's so I find it highly likely that it left Finland without a handguard. Despite having a couple spares I've resisted the urge to put one on it due to this. View attachment 3751583
Out of curiosity if it came out of the crate with the rear sight or the magazine floorplate/follower assembly missing would you leave it without those parts, as that's how it came out of the crate, or would you fit replacement parts?.

My N.E.W came to me with broken barrel band screws, no cleaning rod and most of the bolt parts missing (only had a bolt head and connector bar).......should I have left it with those parts broken and missing?.

·
17,307 Posts
Rule of thumb:

When the exposed top of the barrel exhibits the same amount of metal wear as the muzzle end or the receiver, then it probably lived a long life without a handguard.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Out of curiosity if it came out of the crate with the rear sight or the magazine floorplate/follower assembly missing would you leave it without those parts, as that's how it came out of the crate, or would you fit replacement parts?.

My N.E.W came to me with broken barrel band screws, no cleaning rod and most of the bolt parts missing (only had a bolt head and connector bar).......should I have left it with those parts broken and missing?.
That would depend on what the rifle was and how much it cost but I normally avoid project rifles unless they are rare. In that case I was buying a dozen Finnish rifles all at once for a rather low price so I didn't care. These rifles all came directly from U.S. importer companies so they weren't missing any parts, many of those companies would later sell incomplete "u fix them" specials but these are from the earliest milsurp's imported into the U.S. after imports resumed in 1986. The situation with your N.E.W. was quite a bit different as I recall since you found it forgotten in a old shop with no sign it had been used by anyone once it reached the UK during WW1. Such rifles are quite uncommon here in the U.S. and I'd imagine even more so in the UK so I can totally understand you putting it back into firing condition, I would have likely done the same.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Any one have a good picture? I have some dark wood one in storage.
I am not sure of the wood or what they came off of.

Ron
If you can send me a close up of the hand guard in daylight so I can see the color and grain, I might be able to tell you if it is walnut.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rule of thumb:

When the exposed top of the barrel exhibits the same amount of metal wear as the muzzle end or the receiver, then it probably lived a long life without a handguard.
On this rifle the barrel which would be under the hand guard looks to be in much better condition than other exposed parts of the rifle. Additionally, although the barrel bands are not Remington those bands have the notch for the tabs to fit into the bands. This leads me to think that it did have a handguard at one time.

Question: does anybody happen to have Remington barrel Bands with or without notches?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went over to storage to get some other gun parts and while I was there I looked for my box(s) of spare M-N hand guards. I could not find them. I will look again next when I have more time.
sorry I can not help this time.
Ron
Ron, did you have a chance to look for that dark wood 91 handguard? Let me know what you do find.
Don

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yes, I didn't find any. I will keep looking.
I am still going to storage and found some other stuff I can sell.
Ron

1 - 20 of 20 Posts