Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing some research, I happened accidentally upon a vintage ad from 2007. It, seeking a Model 31 Riot "within the known serial range of these." I'm guessing meaning some sort of military serial range. But started me wondering IF the was some special serialization (unlikely) or Remington recordation of such SNs. As I conjure either situation. Seeming highly unlikely and special serialization itself. Mine is vintage 1940 and has Los Angeles Police Department with a two digit number, emblazoned on it. Just wondering if there'd be some record or serial range???
Thanks and Best1
John

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm not aware of any serial numbers for the WWII military Model 31 shotguns. The WWII Model 31 riot guns do, however, fall into a particular serial number range. Most are found in the 58,000 to 61,000 range, but some can be found with lower or higher serial numbers. It seems the first batch of WWII Model 31s riots were taken from commercial shotguns on hand and were only marked with the Ordnance crossed cannons mark on the left side of the buttstock. Sometimes that mark looks like a ding in the stock. Later Model 31s were marked "U.S. Property" under the serial number on the side of the receiver and also "U.S. Property" on the top of the barrel..

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info, suspicions confirmed. Dialogue pertaining to military ordnance only. Mine, as noted, police inscribed. Couple of pix below. Eighties era, Old Sacramento Armoury [sic] had a number of these. If this one ever in 'field use', my guess, not much. Likely those days "issued as required and for duration of such requirement". SN 334xx; Barrel Code: "OJ" = Jul 1940.
Thanks for info!
Best!
John

Attachments

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it's too early for a WWII Military Model 31. I like the police markings.
Just went back to add the barrel code to my last post = July 1940. My YOB! Caught this Post! Would be great to have the contract info between Rem & LAPD! Along with a bizllion other "great to..."!
Thanks Tom!
Best!
John

·
Registered
141 Posts
How did you find that date of mfg? I've also got a Mod. 31 Police Gun and I have always wondered when it was born.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Nice PD markings..... From the nominal reading I have done on these dating seems to be elusive......

From what I have heard/read many shotguns were surplused by US govt post was to local PD's in the 50's and 60's

·
Registered
562 Posts
We know the approximate serial number range of the WWII Model 31s by observation (some of these guns were actually marked "U.S. Property". So we know they are WWII guns. And you can ID the barrel date by the code which is located on the barrel near the receiver. The barrel date code usually consists of 2 letters, sometimes 3 letters. If you can tell us that code we can date the barrel for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts