Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! This isn't strictly US milsurp as the base gun is just a commercial variant but I thought you all might still be interested. As soon as I became aware of the Model 10 Trench Gun years ago I became interested in owning one - until of course I learned that they're one of the rarest and most expensive variants and that the design does not lend itself to longevity.

I gave up for awhile until I found https://www.partsforantiqueguns.com/Rem Mod 10 Bayo Attach.html who sells reproductions of the bayonet lug - I decided to order one and hope that eventually they got the handguards back in stock as well. Maybe 6 months later it arrived in the mail and then I found out the gentleman who had been making handguards for them had passed away. I'd already found a functioning model 10 made around 1919-1920 that someone had cut down the stock on and picked it up for next to nothing, however at that point I shelved the project again since I am definitely not a wood worker and went on with my life.

I got into cowboy action shooting eventually and thru that met a wood worker who indicated he'd be interested in taking on the project. I found him every photo I could of real model 10's with their handguards for reference and contacted a few folks who had gone down this road before as well for advice - eventually my friend finished the work. The craftsmanship is, I think, quite nice, although the handguard he created is a bit thicker than the original which necessitated putting a taller front sight on the bayonet lug in order to be able to pick up a sight picture. I had the bayonet lug rust blued, found an original length stock on a broken Model 10 at a local store, had that cleaned up and fitted (including repairing a nasty crack I hadn't spotted before hand), got a reproduction sling after mounting the sling swivels also sold by antique parts for guns and found an original bayonet on ebay that had been reblued at some point.

And here is the end result!

I'm pretty happy with the overall effect - I haven't fired it since the project was finished but I do intend to, at least a little. I'm including a photo album below with a lot of detailed photos in case anyone is interested.
My wood worker friend is also interested in potentially making more of these handguards since presumably anyone who has purchased a bayonet lug from antique parts for guns would want one. What he'd really like though is to examine the handguard on a real Model 10 trench gun so he could make a more accurate representation. A long shot I know, considering their fragility and rarity but I thought I'd put out the call in case anyone had a line on such a thing!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice! I have an Ithaca 37 awaiting a reproduction bayo lug/heat shield from antique parts as well for my next trick. I wouldn't mind the sort of cliche 1897 at some point either although that Model 12 looks very slick!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts