Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a US marked Remington M91 from doyletoo and thought I'd share pictures of my Remington Mosins. This one is all matching with the "flaming bomb" and "screaming eagle" on the bottom of the stock just forward of the magazine tang. The condition is very nice with a new bore although a previous owner carved their name in the stock just below the bolt. The handguard is cracked and the buttplate and bolt have some rust, but nothing I can't live with since I'm not coughing up $2,500 for a pristine one any time soon. ;)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Good stuff. I recall a number of fellers flipping the hell out over me spending a massive $400 on a pristine Remington M91 not all that long ago. Never mind most of 'em had never seen, much less laid hands on one before.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another Finn, but this one is Civil Guard rather than Army issued. Mismatched, other than the bolt. Note the lined out district number and CG acceptance mark in the last picture. This was my first Remington M91 and I got it in May 2001. I think it came off the Trader, but I don't recall the member's name. I paid a whopping $240 shipped back then, but feel like a genius now. :D

·
Gold Bullet member
11,618 Posts
And to think, I've neve had a single Remington M91 grace my gun closet's door.

I've had a few Westinghouse's come and go, though.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,705 Posts
Pant, drool, nice rifles. Just when I was starting to think I had some decent Remington
M91s. Don't suppose you would let that MP8 marked one come over to visit and talk about old times with some former comrades?.....I'm sure my SCW NEW would love to see
it again after all these years......Also the rest of the SCW collection which has gotten
to be fairly nice in the last few years. FAI/CNT.....

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Nice M91's!! I have passed on two Remington M91's & kick myself for passing on both of them!

Pahtu.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
You've been busy this year with that Nikon D-50 and your light box! Nice photos. How many of the collection do you still have to cover/re-shoot pics of? Will you eventually pic them all?

Also, the top one with "Bennie Boyd" carved in the stock...think this was with the US troops in Alaska and part of the Russian order that never was shipped due to the contract voiding?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Nice score! Mine is close to yours - 514007.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
6,032 Posts
Wow! Ted, I was happy just to find my first one last week! Nice collection.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks.

I took all those pictures except for the Japanese yesterday evening and edited them at work today. I've about got it down to where I only take one shot for each picture and that saves a lot of time. There are a couple that I'm not happy with and might retake, but they'll do for now.

I don't expect I'll ever stop taking pictures, but I have no desire to photograph every Mosin I own. After all, I can look at the real thing any time I want to. I photograph primarily for my site it's not just a matter of taking pictures of every rifle. For pages that feature a particular rifle I would do a set like the ones above. For pages that feature a particular mark or feature I might take one picture each of a dozen or more rifles. I have dozens of rifles that are essentially duplicates or I bought for one particular mark or feature. There's no reason to photograph them beyond that.

At this point I've pretty well covered around 20 rifles in my collection with new pictures. I have also photographed every barrel marking variation in my collection which is about 65 out of 70+ I've identified for all countries and time frames. I've taken representative pictures from my collection of 40 different models out of about 45. This is not counting snipers or some of the more esoteric models. I've also done Finnish and "other countries" marks to the extent that I can with my collection. Sights are pretty well covered now, but I need to redo all the other features. I'm slowly working my way through my site replacing everything but I have a good number of rifles that aren't even on there that I need to add too. My site totals over 2,500 pictures as it is now and I may have 500 "new" pictures taken with the D50. I can see the site hitting close to 4,000 pictures just with my current collection, which is still growing.

I'm fairly certain the "Bennie Boyd" rifle never left the US and certainly was issued to some type of US military unit by the marks on the stock. I did a search on Bennie Boyd and found a listing within 50 miles of where doyletoo purchased the rifle. I've written a letter and hope to get a response that will shed some light on the history of the rifle. Maybe the Bennie I found is the son of the Bennie who carved his name on the stock when he was discharged, along with his "junk Russian rifle", in the '20s. :D

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Although I've picked up three of these in the last year or so and another just two years ago, it really wasn't intentional on my part to put together a set of Remingtons like this. However, I am very pleased to have them as a "set" from four very different countries who made use of them.

As I mentioned, the first one was the CG Finnish rifle over 6 years ago. It was my "representative" Remington for a long time. I had been wanting a SCW M91 and this one came along and just happened to be Remington. When I realized that there were two variations of Remington logos I wanted the later one and began looking for one. Of course that was an intentional hunt for a Remington, but it turned up the matching SA from Cubrock. I had also been looking for a Japanese M91 and again, it just happened to be a Remington. (seinen has shared some data he's been collecting and it seems that odds are better than 50/50 that Japanese M91s will be Remington.) I needed a rifle with US marks in my collection and I would have been just as happy with a NEW, but doyletoo came up with this one first. Sometimes that's just the way it works, you look for years and then several fall in your lap at once.

As for NEWs, I have about 7 or 8 of them. All but one SA marked and it is an Instructie. It would be really cool to find and Instructie Remington now to go with the set above. The reason I ended up with so many NEWs is because the barrel markings have so much variation to them. It's so slight though that about the only way to work out the differences is to compare them side by side. That's a lot easier when you own them. :D

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Ted--I know we talked about the D-50 before you acquired it, but I forget the type of macro lens you purchased...might have to get on or similar. TIA

For others looking for a great camera for guns C/Us or general shooting the D-50 or its current replacement model is a great choice. And it will take great pics with the stock zoom lens...

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The lens is a Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro (macro). When I bought the D50, the D40 had just come out and it was not compatible with it or I probably would have bought it. I don't know if Nikon fixed that, or even intends to, but anybody considering a Nikon DSLR needs to be aware of that. There may be a suitable substitute lens that is compatible with the D40 also, but that's beyond me. "Quigley" from the Japanese board deserves the credit for pointing me in the right direction on the lens.

The full length M91 pictures are taken with the camera almost 12 feet away from the rifle.

BTW, none of the rifles above were "digitally enhanced" in any way. Only typical rotating, cropping, and light adjustments were made. I could have easily made "Bennie Boyd" disappear and with a little work could have matched the numbers on the last two rifles. I just wanted to clarify that since I have "created" some images recently. The purpose of those were not to represent a particular rifle, but to depict a rare early variation. A picture is worth a thousand words, even if it isn't real.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts