Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, this is my first post so stay with me...I'm also very new to Mosin Nagants and surplus rifles in general. I was browsing through a local gun shop when I found a 1918 Remington made M91. I was confused and went home to research this, learning that Remington and NEW produced a few of these for czar era Russia. It was in incredible shape so I went back and offered $100 for it, and he took it. The wood is absolutely beautiful and nearly perfect, all the metal is scratch free and shiny, and the blueing appears nearly 100% on all metal, but I haven't had the rifle apart. A nice dark maroon/blue color covers part of the receiver. Bore is darker (not cleaned yet), but nicely defined grooves. The bolt, receiver, and butt plate numbers do not match and I think the bolt may be off a Russian rifle. I found no import/export marks, and to the best of my knowledge the rifle seems all original, with the bolt exeption. Just wondering if the gun was a solid buy, or anything else to look for. Any help or history on these later 1918 model Remingtons would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,380 Posts
You certainly did well at that price. It's funny that the numbers don't match for a late production in that condition that doesn't seem to have left the US. If they did it would be worth around $1,000 in today's market. As it is it's probably still worth $250 or more just based on the condition. 1918 is a less common date also. Congratulations and welcome to Gunboards.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOW, I guess it's too bad the numbers don't match huh...can I still shoot this rifle, or would that hurt any collectability it has?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I've got a mis-matched Remington 1918, but it's a HECK of a shooter. It'll print itty-bitty groups at 100yds with surplus ammo any day of the week, if I do my part. No, shooting won't hurt the value, just clean it with some sort of water solution to get all the corrosive ammo out, if you use surplus. If you shoot non-corrosive, just do a good cleaning with Hoppes or such like and grease it up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts