Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this M1917 bayonet with a early 50s fiber BM Co. US-M1917 sheath today.

It's a standard P1913 with the Brit marking crossed out, US applied and dated 10-17. It's smooth gray parked with a tint of green.

I figured it was just a refurbed bayonet for Vietnam era trench gun use.

What is odd (to me) is both the scabbard and the spine of the blade in the scales area are eletro pencil marked USA 12-40. No idea the meaning of that as the scabbard was not even made till the early 50s.

I know that the bayonet is not the new 1960s production as it lacks the cross pins, cross guard markings, and plastic scales they put on them at the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
740 Posts
I've never seen official markings like that. Could be something that was added by a collector. I saw several bayonets for sale that came from the same collection and the owner had applied his initials to the blades of the bayonets with an electric etching pencil.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never seen official markings like that. Could be something that was added by a collector. I saw several bayonets for sale that came from the same collection and the owner had applied his initials to the blades of the bayonets with an electric etching pencil.
It's hard to tell about the scabbard but park looks to have been applied over the EP markings on the bayonet.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Great looking blade!

Maybe the electric etched numbers are a armorers rack marking. In the 80's when I was in the US Army, I remember the unit armorers loved to mark everything with those electric pencils. Just a guess.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great looking blade!

Maybe the electric etched numbers are a armorers rack marking. In the 80's when I was in the US Army, I remember the unit armorers loved to mark everything with those electric pencils. Just a guess.
I know a guy that worked in a armory in Vietnam. He told me once that he had to inventory bayonets and got in trouble when one came up missing. I'll ask him when I see him about that.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Why put "USA" in a rack or inventory marking? It only make sense that a collector made this marking
Because not every US Army arms room is full of just US made weapons. OPFOR (Opposing Forces Command) arms rooms are full of almost every known small arms that have been made and possibly encountered in the field. So unless you have personal experience to prove that theory wrong, please share.
Like I said before, Just a guess.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I talked to my friend this morning and it's a armory designation. He does not ever remember USA but he remembers the XX-XX which means (in my case) #12 of 40. It was just a coincidence that it looked like a WW-2 era date.

He said most of the older trench gun bayonets were EPed or stamped in such a way. It was mostly painted on later bayonets. He was there in '66 and did not remember seeing any of the 60s-made Trench gun bayonets but he remembered a lot of parked ones as well as some still blued.

I felt like Homer Simpson when he explained it because it made so much sense.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Very Nice bayonet!! I have a US dated & proofed in the same WWII produced scabbard you have. These were refurbished for WWII. The metal grey parkerized, new grips added. Your scabbard is the WWII type. Mine is Remington made 1917. These bayonets & M17 rifles were used to guard factories, military camps & harbors. Some were reputably used in North African landings. The WWII scabbard Has US in Ordnance Grenade, M-1917 below it. The Vietnam scabbard is simply U.S.-M1917 with B.A. Inc below it (mine).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.