Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I finally managed to get a hold of a M10 Trench gun, but as most of them, it has issues. Buttstock is "extremely" refinished (swivel and original butt plate are missing), hanguard with "securing metal" and screws are gone, and Weaver choke is installed. Good news, my friend has a bayonet lug! Still have to settle on what he wants for it.

Well, to put it back to its original condition I need:

1. Buttstock with a Remington UMC buttplate
2. Swivel-It looks like it is the same type as used on Remington Lee
3. Handguard-No idea where to find one, perhaps 2 P14 handguards could be made into one M10.
4. "Securing metal" or "handguar clip"-seems rather easy to make one.
5. "Handguard clip" screws-hopefully check screws will fit
6. Weaver choke???-I do not know how much of the barrel is threaded and I do not want to cut from the barrel, so is there any solution which will hide those threads

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Regards

Rusnak

· Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
3,008 Posts
Your biggest problem may be with the band that attaches the magazine tube to the barrel. For the handguard to fit and be retained, the top area of the band has two lips that retain the handguard sheet metal. Many US guns had this area removed when the army converted them from Trench to riot guns. Also part of the conversion process they shortened the barrel length. I don't have dimensions handy but the lengths are well published.

If you are lucky enough to have the undercuts, I would love to see seveal closeups of that area. I have one that needs repairs in that area.

· Registered
22 Posts
Rusnak, I have one of these trench guns with the same weaver compensator. After taking it to the local gunstore and asking them to remove it, we think it may have been added during WWII for aerial target training? Does anyone else have an opinion on the compensator? It appears to be silver soldered on, not threaded. Does yours have the 23" barrel? And serial nunmber between U160000 and U166000?

· Registered
19 Posts
Rusnack, I can help you with the 2 screws that hold the handguard retainer clip to the barrel extension. A friend of mine had a batch of them made up and has extras that are perfect. There is also a way to have your barrel repaired as it is probably threaded on the outside, even if it is not cut. A good machinist can make a threaded sleeve that will match the outside diameter of your barrel and thread on making it look like one piece again so that the sleeve is not noticable, especially once the bayonet lug is mounted.

I have 2 original Model 10 Trench's complete with original handguards and the retainers. I am happy to help you with your project any way I can. It is a worthy task, especially if your barrel serial number matches your receiver serial number.

Steve

· Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
3,008 Posts
Could you please post a picture of the top of the band where the undercuts are to fit the thin metal handguard lip. End view and side view. I have to add that area back to my band as the gov't ground it off when converted them to riot guns.

· Registered
19 Posts
Could you please post a picture of the top of the band where the undercuts are to fit the thin metal handguard lip. End view and side view. I have to add that area back to my band as the gov't ground it off when converted them to riot guns.
Sure. I will be back home in a few days and will take some detailed pictures of the retainer clip and post them.

· Silver Bullet member
15,789 Posts
I think Steve forgot the pictures, I'd like to see them too!

· Registered
19 Posts
Modle 10 Trench Gun Handguard Details

Here are some photos of an original handguard installed on a Model 10 Trench, showing how it slips under the front barrel band. Only the Model 10 Trench Guns have the front band undercut so that the thin piece of metal that is rivited to the handguard will slide under.

· Silver Bullet member
15,789 Posts
Steve,
those are great pictures, thanks much.

Can you post a side view of the whole handguard? The front swivel?

Super nice picts.

thanks again.

· Registered
19 Posts
Here are some more pictures of the handguard and front sling swivel. The front swivel is different from any other swivel that I can find on other military rifles of this vintage, and I believe is specific to teh Model 10 Trenchgun. The spacing of the screws is different than the rear swivel, and the bottom of the swivel base is concave to fit the curve of the magazine tube. Becasue of that, the base is much thicker in height, than a standard sling swivel base.

· Registered
19 Posts
I have a few reproduction Model 10 Trench Gun bayonet lugs for sale, that I just posted on the "For Sale" board, with pictures, if anyone is looking for one. They are very nice and high quality, and would be a great replacement to complete your gun until a real one can be found, if ever.

· Silver Bullet member
15,789 Posts
Steve,
thanks for the great pictures.

I have one of these trench M 10s on my wish list for sure now.

· Registered
22 Posts
Steve, any plans on making reproduction handguards and retaining clips? Also, I noticed that your pump slide has the stamp TRADE Remingtion MARK. Do both of yours guns have that stamp? My slide in that that same area is completely blank. Thanks for the pictures - very helpful.

· Registered
6 Posts
Wow this is a great thread and great pictures. I have a Model 10 made in 1924. Its not a trench gun, but I cut the barrel to the proper length and I am gather parts to make it a "tribute" to the trench gun. Could you post a picture of the forward sling swivel please. I saw a different type of swivel attachment on one ( had a band that went around the barrel) I have one of those, but would like to do it correctly. My gun has had all the bluing worn off it. but no rust or dents and the stock is good. I am going to leave it looking worn as part of the theme. Thanks again for any help you can provide.

Joe

1 - 20 of 26 Posts