Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone collect the old Remington Lee rifles?

Around 1899, the Michigan National Guard issued them in 30-40 (U.S. Army (Krag)) caliber. Now and then, they show up at Michigan gun shows. Sad to say, most are in "sporterized" condition. But they do have a rather fine looking action.

Best regards,
Greg

·
Registered
264 Posts
Don't have one, but I sure wish I did. Sadly, I doubt I'll ever be able to pony up the $3000+ to own one. There was a discussion on one of the boards a while back about this, and one gentleman mentioned that at one point back in the '80s he had 20! in his collection. They are definitely an interesting rifle, plus I just have an afinity for straight pulls.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The straight pull Lees, at least that I know of, were the Winchester Lee rifles, used by the USN in 6mm around the time of the Spanish American War, Boxer Rebelion, etc. A high priced weapon these days.

The one I'm thinking of is the turn-bolt Remington Lee. The British War Dept. first examined the Remington Lee rifles in 45.70 cal. This action is the "Lee" in Lee-Enfield, which is why I mentioned it here.

I'm thinking about them because I have a possible source for a sporterised example.

Best regards,
Greg

·
Copper Bullet member
1,447 Posts
The straight pull Lees, at least that I know of, were the Winchester Lee rifles, used by the USN in 6mm around the time of the Spanish American War, Boxer Rebelion, etc. A high priced weapon these days.

The one I'm thinking of is the turn-bolt Remington Lee. The British War Dept. first examined the Remington Lee rifles in 45.70 cal. This action is the "Lee" in Lee-Enfield, which is why I mentioned it here.

I'm thinking about them because I have a possible source for a sporterised example.

Best regards,
Greg

Do let us see whatever it is you end up with...

tac

·
Registered
373 Posts
Three different rifles in discussion here. The first one pictured below is an 1885 Navy Remington Lee. The second (I am sorry to say that I let this one go, was recently sold by an on-line dealer), is the Michigan National Guard variant you mention in 30-40 krag. The third is a Winchester-Lee also mentioned in the postings. This is the straight-pull design by Lee also adopted by the Navy. Both the 1885 and Winchester Lee are part of my collection.

Hope this helps clarify things.

Regards,
RP

·
Registered
67 Posts
The best single source of information (that I know of) is a small book by Eugene Myszkowski, entitled “The Remington-Lee Rifle”. He list the rifles made for the Michigan National Guard as: Remington-Lee Small Bore (M1899). He gives the serial number range as 100001 to 102200, and the number made as 2,001.

Small Arms Section

·
Registered
1 Posts
I once had a Remingto-Lee carbine in 45-70 but passed it on to a keen collector as it was in top condition and ammo was next to impossible to get at the time.
I got another one , a sporting rifle in .303 at a very cheap price from the late **** Smith, in Sydney, back in around 1960.
He had just traded it in and I asked to have a look. Someone had converted it to a .410 using a twist drill ! ! I said to **** that it was a pity about the bore. For probably the first time in his career he'd not bothered to look through the barrel.
**** was a bit put out, so I offered to take it for what he'd allowed on it. Done.!!!

Was a very sweet action and very fast and smooth. Traded it away too.

Just noticed my join date. Wow

·
Registered
156 Posts
Beautiful rifles and I bet you are sorry you sold it. I have done it myself.

Cheers
Kevin

Three different rifles in discussion here. The first one pictured below is an 1885 Navy Remington Lee. The second (I am sorry to say that I let this one go, was recently sold by an on-line dealer), is the Michigan National Guard variant you mention in 30-40 krag. The third is a Winchester-Lee also mentioned in the postings. This is the straight-pull design by Lee also adopted by the Navy. Both the 1885 and Winchester Lee are part of my collection.

Hope this helps clarify things.

Regards,
RP

·
Silver Bullet member
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the responses, images and serial number range. BTW, the deal went through. Images to follow.

Best regards,

Greg

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I have shot the .45-70 M1879 and .30-40 M1899 Remington Lees and the M1895 Winchester Lee. I found the latter to be the most user friendly - and accurate. While the .45-70 was far better than a Trapdoor I found little about the M1899 to recommend it. It was inferior to the Krag as regards accuracy and reloading and it seems that Remington failed to recognize that the Brits had already created a better rifle with their No. 1 Lee-Enfield.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts