Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Platinum Bullet member
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acquired this bayonet a few years ago. I recently came across it again and noticed the markings. Is this a P-14 bayonet or a oddly marked 1917? The numbers below the "1913" appears to have an unusual space where the "7" would go in a "1917" marking. Or is this a date indicator for January 1917?

I have to admit I'm not any type of authority on bayonets. So any help would be greatly appreciated. I had also not seen this type of belt hook arrangement on the scabbard.

Regards JIMMY C

· Registered
278 Posts
JimmyC, What you have is a British Pattern 1913 bayonet which was made,under contract, by Remington Arms in January of 1917.The Pattern 1913 bayonet was used on the British Pattern 14 rifle .The scabbard however, is for a US Model 1917 bayonet. Shortly after the US declared war upon Germany, in April,1917 ,many Pattern 14 bayonets were taken by the US military for use on the Model of 1917 "Enfield" rifle. Most of these bayonets had the British markings "cancelled" and US eagle heads added to denote new US ownership. Your bayonet does not appear to be one of these.BTW, the "space" you observed between the "1" marking and the "17" marking is entirely normal.

· Gold Bullet member
855 Posts
The scabbards is the early type, with the leather belt hanger. These did not hold up well in service, so the wire belt hook was made integral with the upper mount. These early scabbards are scarce. Yours was made by the Jewell Belting Co. of Hartford, CT. In peacetime, Jewell was a manufacturer of leather belting for industrial machinery.

· Gold Bullet member
701 Posts
1913 bayonet and scabbard

Very nice specimens! The first model 1917 scabbard is a real plus and has been stated are hard to find. A friend of mine just recently sent me the later manufacture scabbard for the US Enfield which are very hard to find in my neck of the woods. In any case, nice combo! Joe

· Gold Bullet member
701 Posts
1913 bayonet/scabbard

Prices tend to be regional, fickle and in this modern world ebay driven. Locally I paid 125.00 for the bayonet and I saw one scabbard go for another hundred at our local gun show. On the other hand folks have reported finding these items in their local second hand stores at dream prices. Very hard to place prices on such collectibles anymore. It seems that more and more price is governed by whatever they go for on ebay or some other auction sites. I have found my best deals/prices and conditions right here on the gunboards most of the time. Joe

· Registered
1,962 Posts
im no expert on prices and tend to pay based on if i want it or not , but , having said that you have a very nice example of the first version scabord and its well marked , id think it would be of the value quoted , the bayo is not as uncommon and yet is in excelent shape as well , get a great looking brit scabord and vintage frog to put with it and id agree with that price as well ,

· Registered
2 Posts
I have in my possession a Remington Bayonet dated 1913, underneathe the date is marked 5 17, the remington stamp, and on the reverse side are sum sybols which looks like an upside down v under that is a crown beneath that is B8 and underneath that is what looks like a A, there are no U S stamps on it. Cannot find anything about this particular bayonet, can anyone help me...

· Registered
141 Posts
What you have is a British Pattern 1913 bayonet which was made under contract by Remington Arms in 1917. The Pattern 1913 bayonet was used on the British Pattern 14 rifle. Shortly after the US declared war upon Germany many Pattern 14 bayonets were taken by the US military for use on the Model of 1917 "Enfield" rifle. Most of these bayonets had the British markings "cancelled" and US eagle heads added to denote new US ownership. Your bayonet does not appear to be one of these.
BigGuns59, please check the above.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.