Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, new here so please move if I'm in the wrong place.

I am in the market for a Remington 700. While doing research, I came across people claiming that 700 models before a certain year, or with certain serial numbers are more desirable than, say, modern production 700s. I am familiar with the trigger lawsuit in 2012, but are there any specific things to look for when buying a 700? Something like a buyer's guide? I am most interested in the older models, for a multipurpose bolt action rifle (both target shooting and potentially hunting).

Let me know what to look out for.
Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Freedom Group bought Remington in 2007.
I had a 700 PSS that was produced in 2008, that had extremely rough rifling. The barrel would copper up very quickly and the original barrel never shot well at all. A gunsmith friend of mine said that was very common in that period (post FG buyout). He also told me he had customers bring him 700s that he was asked to thread the barrels, and the bores were not concentric to the barrel.
If you are just looking for an action to build on, the actions didn't have any issues that I know of. The 2008 action I mentioned I still own and shoot. With a new barrel it shoots and functions very well.
The X-Mark Pro triggers (that were recalled) were also introduced in the Freedom Group era.
I don't know if Remington/FG ever reconciled these issues and quality ever got better (I never bought another). However, FG definitely had some growing pains in it's early years.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I don't know a lot about the newest ones, but have and still own dozens of them with no complaints. I believe the trigger lawsuit deal was mostly bs. I believe on most trigger problems with the Rem. 700's were due to people screwing around with the triggers who didn't know what the hell they were doing. I have never had an issue with any I have owned. Hard to beat a Remington 700 action for a factory rifle imo!

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
The one I had the throat was so long that loading the 180 sierra matchking still wouldn't get you anywhere near the lands. And forget using the magazine, wasn't long enough for the bullets we were using!. And whatever the pot metal they used for the safety lever was it broke. Only time I used it when the RO called a cease fire. Cease Fire over, lever moved back to the fire positon. Accuracy on two of these rifles was seriously lacking. My Savage 110FP was much better in the accuracy dept.And the Savage was purchased years before I bought the Sendero. Both are in 308 caliber Frank

·
Silver Bullet member
2,070 Posts
Trigger problem was not total BS. By just flicking the safety off my brother got his to fire. Thru the jeep, mattress on his bed, the fireplace mantle, the ceiling above the gun safe in the basement. etc We learned to never put the safety on once the bolt was closed if it was not shot.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,989 Posts
I bought a PS, forerunner to the PSS with a wood stock that looks near identical to the M40, about 20 years ago. A guy at the show chased me for about 15 minutes trying to find me because he thought that it was an M40. Nice rifle but not a consistently sub-MOA rifle. I stuck a HS precision stock on it and it did not seem to help. I put it back in the Walnut stock and bought a NOS commercial Redfield with tombstone to put on it. I need to play with it some more with a near correct scope.

I got one of the over runs from the Chuck M. batch. The stock had a worm hole in it and I was so disappointed that I complained, and they sent me $100 back. They did not have another for a replacement. I stayed bugged by it and traded it for something I wanted more.

I was lucky to get a real M40 from a friend member, thanks buddy. It has a green scope and I am afraid to shoot it. I may shoot it someday with the commercial scope. Sadly it has a butt pad added by someone but hey, get what you can. I bought a stock rerun, allegedly one of 25 made at Remington(paid the "say what" price, not the story price) for it but I have left rifle as is.

The bench rest guys and custom builders that used to show up at my old range seemed to insist that the starting point was a 40X Remington receiver and a Hart barrel, then insure the two are exactly in alignment done by a skilled smith. Many factory guns are a touch off. They also said make sure the action screws are carefully torqued with a torque wrench to 40 IIRC. Savage production methods typically insure barrel and receiver are square/precise so no expensive smith help is needed. I talked to the engineer dept. at Savage quite a while on the phone and they so confirmed. I ended up with several Savage precision rifles, two "Tactical" in 308(one was cryo treated and custom bedded and fitted) and a 300WM fluted, stainless, heavy barrel, laminate stock. They are factory Pillar bedded so typically no additional bedding is needed. Mine shoot as good or better than the Remington. The gun shop where I ordered was run by a long time gun smith and he was a Savage lover. He said he had and had used several Savages for hunting over the years and all would do sub-MOA out of the box with wood stocks and light barrels.

I was at that range one day and a young guy had a Savage 110 in 308 from Walmart with a 3-9X $29.95 Tasco, a package deal at $329 at the time in about 1999. He was shooting and getting frustrated he could not get it zeroed. I decided I was tired of him wasting ammo and went to help him. He had American Eagle ammo made by Federal which was also made by Winchester(worse). He had the scope rotated 90 degrees off, windage adjustment at 12 O'clock. I corrected this, fired 3 shots and it was zeroed. I asked if I could fire a 5 shot group and he said sure. It printed a 1 inch group off sandbags. I almost went to Walmart to get one but money is always finite. Amazing rifles for the cash.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Bought my Savage 110FP back in '95 before the big move to Louisiana. Shot crappy at first. Wasn't the shooter or ammo. Darned plastic stock. Front guard screw was chewing up the plastic. Packed the stock under the receiver ring with acraglass gel. Then did a slight counter bore on the outside where the guard screw went in and using the same acraglass gel glued in a stainless steel washer. Let it sit for a week to get a full cure. 10 shots using some LC 7.62 Match into 1" at 100 yds. Frank

·
Gold Bullet member
13,989 Posts
The cheap stocks on the Walmart guns were the big hang up for me. The tactical has a slightly better stock.

·
Registered
16,385 Posts
You have some conflicting requirements. An 11 1//2 Lb hunting rifle? a 6 1/4Lb Target rifle?
There was a "premium on 'Pre' 65? IIRC Remington's" but it was IMO bogus. It actually refereed to Winchester LEVER ACTIONS.
Trigger?
Replace with a Timmey, done. Just don't call & ask what the little piece of sheet metal that falls out during installation does, they'll laugh.
Barrel? I got a Shilen "phone pole".
Get it with your old barreled receiver set to them for fitting. It used to include all the options like breech face truing, bore lapping & so on, if they did the install.
It was a 1/3 MOA gun.
Welcome to Shilen Rifles, Inc.
Get a magazine floor plate, not a blind magazine one.
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Toy Wood

·
Registered
62 Posts
You can go to Remington website and find a list of serial number 'zones' or what have you that had the safety issue. I've had this one for awhile, but it is not in that zone. Very accurate rifle. I put it on consignment at a local gun shop. I shoot left handed, and am still looking for the rifle for me. I have since pulled the scope and changed the mounts, had a trigger job done on it and a recoil pad fitted. They are very good rifles, just do your homework on the serial number side of it.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
13,989 Posts
Nice looking BDL andresere. I should have bought one in about 81 but got a 742 instead. At end of hunting season K-Mart had these for $199 ish and I made the wrong choice. ADLs, no Monte Carlo stock, were about $20 less. The 742 had issues too. Mine did shoot well. It is buried somewhere in some safe?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nice looking BDL andresere. I should have bought one in about 81 but got a 742 instead. At end of hunting season K-Mart had these for $199 ish and I made the wrong choice. ADLs, no Monte Carlo stock, were about $20 less. The 742 had issues too. Mine did shoot well. It is buried somewhere in some safe?
It's a really accurate, good rifle. But I've spent my whole life using a right handed bolt and I think I want to try a lefty. Muscle memory is going to be a real hoot. lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts