Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just pick this one up, super nice guy happened to only live a couple blocks from my house! It has been sporterized, but otherwise seems excellent, bright shiny bore, all remington from what I can tell (but could be way wrong). Picked it up for a little over $200.

Anything you can tell me about this rifle will help, this was almost an impulse buy!! :D

·
3,090 Posts
$200 seems to be about the going rate. The rifle has been refinished and has a replacement barrel. I would say you got a decent deal - not a steal for you or for the seller. Are you going to restore it?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was planning on replacing the stock. How can you tell the barrel has been replaced? Like I said, I know nothing about these rifles...

·
Silver Bullet member
798 Posts
The original barrel would have been Remington marked.R over the flaming bomb,and WWI dated.Yours is a replacement made by High Standard,done sometime between the two world wars.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The original barrel would have been Remington marked.R over the flaming bomb,and WWI dated.Yours is a replacement made by High Standard,done sometime between the two world wars.
Ok, yeah I have been reading alot since I picked this up, sounds like many of them were rebarreled. Well I thought I had made a steal, but I am still pretty happy. I have heard these are great guns, and everyone needs a US gun in the inventory :)

Now to begin the hunt for missing pieces (stock, handgaurd, and probably some bands...)

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Get a new stock on it before those go up in value beyond the moon. For some reason I have noticed a few spare stocks showing up for sale recently from time to time. I agree you did well but it will pay off to restore it to its military configuration.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
You might try posting a WTB on the appropriate forum for one. They are out there, but like I said, as demand for these rifles outstrips the supply many more will be remilitarizing sporterized rifles like yours.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'd be cautious about going crazy on the dollars on putting it into a military stock because at best it will be an expensive mismatched rifle when you are done and very hard to recoup your investment.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think you got a steal at that price. Rick's pretty right about 200+- is the price for a sporterized model, I have a sporterized one also, but, most, like mine, have the sight ears milled off, yours are intact. Yours looks as if the barrel has not been cut off, so it's is a candidate for restoration, mine's not. I think Numrich or Dupage may have some stocks, maybe Dougs Stockpile. You will also need the handguards, lower band/swivel and upper band. The 1917 parts as of yet do not demand the high prices that 1903 parts do, so do it now. A lightly cracked stock is no problem, fix it with a good epoxy and it will be as strong as new.
A good original 1917 is worth a minimum of $500. They are a bit more of a chunk than a 1903, but they are real nice to shoot. I bought a chrome and white one (Parade rifle) from the CMP for $350.00, most accurate rifle I have, shoots great. Am debating if I ought to refinish the stock to natural like my four Chrome 1903s.

1917s are just now beginning to be discoverd, they will never get any cheaper. --- The EddyRemChester sport model and the Eddystone/JA Barreled Chromie. JIM

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since this has been brought up what would you say the value of a mix master 1917 is? Basically put it back to mil spec? I don't really want to put more money into the gun than it is worth, if I would at least break even that would be good enough for me.

·
3,090 Posts
Actually, a High Standard barrel is a WWII replacement, not between the wars. Don't forget you'll need other parts - M1917 upper band, lower band, handguards (there are two parts) and upper swivel. Remember that M1903 parts DON'T fit (at least the ones you need.).

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually, a High Standard barrel is a WWII replacement, not between the wars. Don't forget you'll need other parts - M1917 upper band, lower band, handguards (there are two parts) and upper swivel. Remember that M1903 parts DON'T fit (at least the ones you need.).
Yeah I was aware of that....I thought it was very interesting when I realized that there were 2 handguards! I actually tore it completely apart (everything except safety) and took an inverntory of every part that was marked - had to find a way to spend some time with her at home :) - so I have a listing of every part I will need

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Since this has been brought up what would you say the value of a mix master 1917 is? Basically put it back to mil spec? I don't really want to put more money into the gun than it is worth, if I would at least break even that would be good enough for me.

This is hard to say but I think ANY M1917 in military configuration is going for around $400-$500 these days. Of course those in WWI configuration are going for rather much more. The real radical in these prices is the coming anniversary of the start of WWI in 2014. Alot of collectors of WWI era rifles expect that WWI era rifles will jump off the mark in price as we get closer to that date. Look what happened to the prices of Krag rifles and carbines as we approached the anniversary of the Spanish-American War in 1998. It used to be t hat you could find a good decent Krag rifle for around $400. Not any more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks like you have a nice candidate for restoration. Around hear if you find one with a chopped stock the ears are almost always ground off. I have a Remington with ground ears and an older aftermarket stock that I have been using for my deer rifle the last 3 or 4 years. It may not have as much monetary value but it sure can take deer. I also have an Eddystone for my good rifle. I was gonna post some pics but this new format has me a little baffled.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Check out Springfield Sporters for some of the parts. I think they were listing the stocks and hardware recently.
If you do not see one or more parts listed, send them an email and then be patient. Russell can get backed-up and is sometimes slow in responding ... but patience can pay off.

http://www.ssporters.com/

I needed a set of wood for a matching Wz29 barrelled-receiver+bolt a couple of years ago and sent Russell and email, even though Wz29s were not listed on his site. He eventually responded, said that he did have a wood-set, quoted me a great price ... and when the wood set arrived I was floored to find that he had included all of the metal bits along with it. :D

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you do not see one or more parts listed, send them an email and then be patient. Russell can get backed-up and is sometimes slow in responding ... but patience can pay off.

http://www.ssporters.com/

I needed a set of wood for a matching Wz29 barrelled-receiver+bolt a couple of years ago and sent Russell and email, even though Wz29s were not listed on his site. He eventually responded, said that he did have a wood-set, quoted me a great price ... and when the wood set arrived I was floored to find that he had included all of the metal bits along with it. :D
I had never been to their site, but I think I will definitely be giving them a call on monday morning. The prices that are listed are very good!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
It is clear that you do not know what you are talking about. You take this rifle and drop it into a $125.00 stock and the whole thing is worth about $500.00 plus. Most military rifles are mismatched after 80+ years of service.
I got $900.00 for the last Remington I sold, but must admit that it was in 98% condition.

I'd be cautious about going crazy on the dollars on putting it into a military stock because at best it will be an expensive mismatched rifle when you are done and very hard to recoup your investment.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts