Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Remington Model 1903 in the 3.07 million range (RA 3-42 barrel). The stock appears to be a scant stock set. The only markings I've found have been a "91" beneath the trigger housing and a "S" near the magazine cutoff switch. Beyond that it's completely unmarked. No proof marks, no inspector marks, no rebuild marks.

I'm curious what the story behind this may be? Was this a former CMP rifle? Was it a replacement stock during it's military service? Was it the original stock to the rifle?

Additionally, it appears to have a fresh and untouched coat of cosmoline applied to the magazine box and barrel under the woodline, so I don't believe the rifle itself has been modified by the previous owner(s). There was a slight amount of mold at the butt end of the stock unfortunately, so I had to wipe that off. It's not been sanded in any places from what I can tell. The bore is in fantastic condition as is the parkerizing.

I can upload more pics, but figured I'd start with these.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
According to Poyer if a scant stock was fitted to the rifle during manufacturing it will show the Ordanance Dept crossed cannon escutcheon, the Ordanance Inspectors initials [FJA] and the Remington Arms factory mark [RA]. If the stock was a replacement then it won’t have these stamps.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Back in the "old days" CMP sold rifles - you could order spare parts including stocks. the Stocks were NOS, and came in a cute cardboard box. I have one here in the original box with shipping label to the guy. Bought the rifle from an older gentleman and it came with the new stock in the box, and a box of parts like butt plate, trigger guard and bands. the invoice for all of it was included. the stock cost like $2-3 . So, the short answer is there is no way to know who did what to the rifle and whether the stock is unmarked, gold plated or silver inlaid there is no way to know how it got that way. We can only say it was not originally produced with that stock

·
Registered
520 Posts
That cosmoline was lightly brushed on by the last owner just to cover the metal. For arsenal storage it was dipped in hot cosmoline and is thicker.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.