Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some gun dealing today and one of the items I got was a Remington 1903 (modified) in a C stock. From studying Canfield's book it seems that the C stock is wrong for this gun. It is one of the rough finished wartime stocks mentioned in the book. The metal is in very good shape. Four groove barrel and 1941 dated. Should I leave it in the C stock or look around for a proper stock? I started to swap it with a slant stock on my 03A4 but I'm sure that the stock is the correct one for that rifle. Let me know what you think. O' yea, someone is going to ask about the price: $450 OTD.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The rifle likely got the stock in a refurb. Arsenals often reworked rifle with the parts thay had. The stock appears to be a prewar model without the cut-out for the 1903A3 handguard ring. Most people prefer the C type stock, keep it as it is and enjoy. JJim

·
Registered
445 Posts
Agreed, it is a pre war C stock, and as such will not fit your 03-A4 anyway. Better piece of wood than the S stock, so I suggest keeping it. Damage, upgrade by user, rebuild?? who knows how it came to be but you have it now and nothing wrong at all.

If you are intent on getting a S for it, then you should be able to get one + cash in you pocket for that C stock.

Very nice find.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I forgot to add, you got a great deal on the rifle. The Remmington 1903 is considered the best of the 03s made with the best steel. To give you a price reference, the CMP sold their last batch of 03s for $500.00 for the standard S stock models, they got an additional $75.00 for those with C stocks. People who shoot their 03s, prefer the C stock rifles over either those with S or Scant stocks. Great catch, JIM

·
3,090 Posts
One correction -- your rifle was NOT made in 1941. I'm guessing you got the data from m1903.com/oldguns. For some reason they list ALL Remington M1903s as "1941" and ALL Remington M1903A3s as "1942". Your rifle dates to 11-42. Is the barrel dated "1941"? If so, it is a replacement.

I have #3,283,084, not too far away from yours. You did VERY well at $450!

·
Gold Bullet member
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Four groove barrel and 1941 dated."

Barrel (not gun) is dated 1941. Never looked up the serial #. Thanks for all of the information coming in. I had to work on getting this one. Took several weeks to get the owner to sell.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is a Remington. Hope the first one was shot out during the war.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hello,
Can someone date my Remington 1903 rifle?
Receiver : #3232491
barrel : RA 6-42.
FJA (or PJA) cartouche on left side of stock and circled P behind trigger guard.

thx,
François

·
3,090 Posts
Your receiver dates to October, 1942. The barrel is a little early, but stranger things have happened. The inspection stamp is an FJA for Frank J. Atwood, who commanded the ordnance district which contained Remington. He didn't do the actual inspecting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts