Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello U.S. armory historians,

I'm curious for info and sources on the manufacturing methods of U.S. wartime rifle barrels.

I have a nice 2-groove 03A3. How was the rifling in this barrel produced? I was told that the 2-groove design was adopted to cut manufacturing time.

I had assumed that by 1942, U.S, barrels would have been made by hammer forge machines - no need to cut rifling.

When did various armories start using the hammer forge machines?

Did the germans use them pre-war?

Daniel39

·
Registered
749 Posts
Not aware of any use of hammer forging. But see "The Rifle in America" by Phil Sharpe (1947) PP 550 & 551 for a description of the use of "button" rifling swages at Springfield Arsenal and Remington. Although the experiments at Remington appeared very promising it's unclear how many "button" rifled barrels were used in production.
The barrel blanks were reamed to a nominal .300" just the same as those slated for finishing on the cut rifling machines. Springfield pulled the button through the bore whereas Remington pushed their buttons through to form the rifling. Reportedly Remingto had better results than SA.

Regards,
Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.