Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say ...Norma, Swedish quality right? Now with mergers I see MFS Hungarian 9x18 in a Norma box. Lake City 5.56 in a Norma box even!

Geco was a great German maker...now again MFS in a Geco Box.

Winchester ammo has come from Israel or the Czech Rebublic..or Lake City.

I guess with Buicks coming from Korea and Germany this is the way the world works these days, and not all of this is to take advantage of the buyer...

But “BUYER BEWARE“ just in case!

·
Registered
9,452 Posts
Yes I do.
I was a firm Remington believer then they went to hell.
Kynoch used to be good, now its just a whored out name.
Eley Tenex used to be superb.
Sad, its all about the buck nowadays. I never thought my preferred brand of brass would be in "Mittel Europe", but it is.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I guess if you're buying steel cased, berdan primed Wolf from Russia at least you know just what you're getting. <rolleyes>

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Yea, when growing up the brands you knew you could trust:
For the rich kids- Norma and RWS
For us poorer kids:
Winchester Western and Remington
Now days I will buy Privi. Many of the ammo makers use their brass cases.
Federal seems to be a favorite maker for our police departments.
The rest as stated have dropped their quality to a point I will not buy it.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator
25,208 Posts
Way back in the 1970's when I worked at a department store with a sporting goods/long arms department, the good 'ole boys would come in for their one box of 30-30 or '06 for the upcoming deer season. They'd turn up their noses at Federal ammo, and go to the Norma or Remington, or Browning in the foil boxes. Now days, folks fall over themselves for Federal.

·
Silver Bullet member
48,494 Posts
Remingtons bronze tipped 165 so accurate..disappeared..
I changed to federal never look back to them nor Winchester two inch best groups out of ragged hole rifles.
eley target Mexico..
Russian steel, or brass target out preformed them.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Sadly ammo is another area where american product quality has fallen dramatically yet American brands price everything much higher than imports. I will always buy Prvi or S&B over Winchester or Remington no questions asked. Federal is the only American company still making decent ammo at a semi realistic price point.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Just the same, there must be a few aged members who remember the days when rifle or ammunition makers would say "If you get a three or four inch group from a mass-produced sporting rifle, what are you complaining about?" Many of us are currently getting far better results with the same rifles. The difference is in the bullet, the case, the bedding and the powder, in approximately that order.

It was the achievements of the amateur benchresters that prodded them on, with activities which many thought about as relevant to ordinary people's needs as F1 motor racing. Things do seem to be on a dowbturn, but it is after a longer route up.

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Tula has a plant in the USA now?

“USA Forged is 100-percent made in the USA and is safe for use on any range, and with any properly chambered modern firearm. Winchester offers USA Forged in 20-round, 50-round and 150 Round boxes“

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Tula has a plant in the USA now?

“USA Forged is 100-percent made in the USA and is safe for use on any range, and with any properly chambered modern firearm. Winchester offers USA Forged in 20-round, 50-round and 150 Round boxes“
Hands down the worst 9mm I’ve ever shot, and perhaps the worst ammo overall. In line with Herters .22LR and just as sticky !

·
Silver Bullet member
48,494 Posts
Federal since the 80’s my best at bench results..
then I started reloading..hedged results..target wise..
federal stay my hunting rounds after bronze tip Remington disappeared or was stopped in productions..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts