Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed an old metal sign on a building the other day ... from back in the day ...
For those old enough to have grown up or lived through the Red Scare 50's-60's-70's when fear the bombs would start falling any minute and the world would end up in nuclear winter and total destruction, you probably remember the Civil Defense Shelter.
Any (govt) building, schools, hospitals, etc. with underground space was designated as a shelter. Metal signs were posted on the outside. Basement storage areas were crammed full of cases of K rations, drums of water, geiger counters, gas masks, blankets, cots ... you name it. There were even Civil Defense Wardens (if you took the classes about radiation and fallout).
If the sirens sounded, you were supposed to run to the nearest shelter and bunker in until it was safe to come out. There was much propaganda, even TV commercials on the nuke threat.

Many of these survived decades. School basements crammed with all this stuff covered in cobwebs.
It wasn't until quite a few decades later that it was admitted that it was all Govt. hoax BS to convince the populace that you would somehow be safe and sound and if the bombs had dropped, almost everyone would have been toast in any event.
There was never a good accounting for the billions of dollars spent.

Now, we have FEMA camps!
Don't that make you feel secure?

·
Silver Bullet member
53,016 Posts
Geiger counter...I have one from my old high school...I wast teaching...when the gov came to deactivate it.
Guess what now one alive or at the school knew of its existence ....not one person...
Door hidden under steps....they told us where it was at....crammed full ..they even drank from one of the 50. Gallon drums..from the late 50's...

Hauled it all away?in black vans...

·
Premium Member
4,528 Posts
What?? Duck tape and plastic tarps arnt enough??

We had white WW1 type helmets and Cherry or Lemon hard candys, with C rats and canned water in our Elementry schools bunker ~~LOL!!~~ We would march from class, inline, stay 10 minutes or so in there all quiet like and listen to the school speaker, suckkin' hard candys and thinking how frikkin maddening it was someone could kill me , at any time, at the push of a button. I remeber watching a teacher open a C-rat for us kids and take a drag off the cigarette that was in it (anyone could smoke anywhere back then) and he nearly fell over. I still feel that creepy feeling of being cramped in and seeingthe teachers getting agitaed that that some kids were loudly slurping their candys, and thinking "Man, if The commies don kill us , the teachers will"

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
how about "duck and cover", the sirens would go off and we would have to get under our desks at school. like that was going to save us. I was working on a building not to long ago where they discovered a fallout shelter that had been walled over. everything was still in there, c rats water cans and all.

·
Banned
1,062 Posts
how about "duck and cover", the sirens would go off and we would have to get under our desks at school. like that was going to save us. I was working on a building not to long ago where they discovered a fallout shelter that had been walled over. everything was still in there, c rats water cans and all.
We did the duck and cover crap whenever we had a thunderstorm, the teachers would herd the entire elementary school out into the hall and make us sit there forever, even walking past and pushing our heads down farther, yes that two or three inches more hunch will save me!
I think my chronic neck pain goes back to that.

Damn idiots.

Gotta friend that works in a nursing home, think I'll buy him a couple of cases of beer to take a head count of all the patients that are retired teachers and have them do duck and cover drills....revenge, a dish best served cold. lol

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts

·
Administrator
7,419 Posts
Got this tin of biscuits some years back from a CD shelter. Made in 1962 I'm sure they're still tasty.

"Flour, sugar, vegetable shortening, corn sugar, soy flour, salt, leavening, butylated hydroxyanisole, propyl gallate and citric acid in propylene glycol added to preserve freshness."

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I am sure that is how you remember it Bill, I was there at that age too and remember ogres for teachers too, but perhaps they remember it a bit differently. After knowing my share of teachers over the past 30 odd years of adulthood, I can see things from a different perspective too. Thirty restless, noisy (when they need to be quiet to listen for say tornado), not listening, kids in a hall wanting to be anywhere else (maybe missing lunch or recess) while they have to watch and make sure that they stay safe and keep heads down and protected from flying objects, plus watch out for weather conditions and the all clear, a rather interesting task to be sure I think . There are always two sides to every story.

I remember going through some of the neat stuff packed away in the school and a store I worked at which was a designated shelter. I wanted to open the boxes and look at it but that was a nono, but I sure was curious.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I grew up in the 80s and remember a friend asking about the shelters at our school. It was after the TV movie The Day After came out. There was this older retired ex military guy who told us flat out that we weren't going to survive as we were too close to AT LEAST two major targets: Kirtland AFB and the Big I interchange. To this day I remember him telling us that it was a good thing we were at a Catholic school so we could pray that it would be quick! Mind you, we were around 10 or 11 at the time!

I also remember the that the air raid siren would get tested about once a month. I think it was the first Tuesday or Thursday of the month. If any of you are/were familiar with ABQ, I remember one being at Central Ave and the Rio Grande river - on the NW corner. It's gone now...

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
23,298 Posts
What I liked in the old Civil Defense gear was the sealed water cans that after you used the water, you converted them to toilets. Had the instructions printed on the back of them. Had one for years that I used as a trash can in my office, but someone decided they needed it more than I did, and liberated it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts