Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty much sold on getting a Rem 870 w/ synthetic stock. Fit and balance seem very nice compared to other pumps shouldered. Ability to have an extended tube w/ 7 or more shots total is appealing for home defense.

Now trying to decide on whether to simply get the std. 3" that will fire 2.75 and 3's or see if getting the Super Magnum with a 23" barrel w/ Rem choke makes more sense. Then 2.75, 3's and 3.5 could all be used. Nice.

I would expect the same nice shouldering characteristics not to change and no decrease in reliability for shooting any of the 3 loads possible w/ the Magnum. And if I wanted to add a long barrel down the road for duck or whatever I could do so. I just like the idea of being able to put any 12 ga shell in and have it go bang. Maybe I need therapy? ;)

I haven't seen a Remington pump like this for sale though. Plenty of synthetic stock black magnums w/ longer barrels that I don't really want. Don't want to have to buy one and then buy a 23" turkey barrel from Midway as a compromise but may if that's the best I can do. A new Magnum w/ 20" long mag barrel with Rem choke would be just right but I'm sure it doesn't exist. With it I could find just the right shell and choke combination that I want with all the flexibility to experiment.

Thoughts? Am I barking up the wrong tree? Does the tree even exist? Which begs another philisophical question: If a mime were shot in the forest would anyone care?

Happy New Year to all.

No mimes were hurt in making this post.

·
Gold Bullet member
297 Posts
A friend of mine owns a remington 870 with the black synthetic furniture and his takes the 3.5 shell 12 gauge it is the Remington Express mag,he uses it for Deer and Turkey along with other small game he is satisfied with it in its use. It is not anything Hi in capacity but it is a general all around hunting shotgun.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmm

A friend of mine owns a remington 870 with the black synthetic furniture and his takes the 3.5 shell 12 gauge it is the Remington Express mag,he uses it for Deer and Turkey along with other small game he is satisfied with it in its use. It is not anything Hi in capacity but it is a general all around hunting shotgun.
Very good. I would wager that almost all of my shootin' would be with the 2.75s but ya never know. Now, correct me if wrong but you can up the tube capacity of the 870 super Mag using the same extensions available for the standard Rem 870 Express. I'm assuming that!

I might find a 3.5 shot shell that works for defense. So your friend feeds his the whole variety and works fine? If so that's the kind of reliability feedback I was looking for. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
My brother does a lot of duck hunting and has always used a plain 870 in 3", so I was surpised he upgraded to the Supermag in 3.5". I haven't had chance to shoot it yet, but I know he's a big fan. What little else I've heard about them has been very positive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My brother does a lot of duck hunting and has always used a plain 870 in 3", so I was surpised he upgraded to the Supermag in 3.5". I haven't had chance to shoot it yet, but I know he's a big fan. What little else I've heard about them has been very positive.
Good! Another thumbs up on the Mag concept. And I see from your verses that you like NASB like me. I'll probably never be able to convert to another version and feel as comfortable. It'd be like retraining a new wife after being married forever. An unbearable thought. ;)

·
Copper Bullet member
554 Posts
good choice!

i have 2 870 super mags in synthetic and one 870 mag in wood and all are great and can knock a duck dead at 60+ yards and blow a hole through anything up close:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have 2 870 super mags in synthetic and one 870 mag in wood and all are great and can knock a duck dead at 60+ yards and blow a hole through anything up close:D
Outstanding. How would you judge their reliability compared to the standard Rem 870? I would wager it would be the same even if you were mainly shooting 2.75" shells. A 23" barrel is starting to sound just fine to use mainly for home defense. Five measely inchess over the 18" barrel can't make it that much tougher to use for 2-legged predators where they don't belong in the wee hours. Do you happen to know if the capacity can be expanded on these Super Magnums to 7 or 9 in the tube? If they can as easily as the std 870 I think I'm sold.

Next step would be finding one that is sold like that or buy one with a long barrel and a short barrel at the same time and sell the long one without firing. Or just hang onto it for those 60 yd ducks, skeet and such. I think I can feel myself talking myself into this. I hate it when that happens. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts