Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to start reloading for my milsurps and as of now I have nothing to start with and as far as my budget, I am going to have buy piece by piece starting with the press and so on..

Can anyone point me to a website who sells good stuff with good prices?

also some hints on what to buy and any other info that you think I can use would be helpful

·
Gold Bullet member
1,234 Posts
Theres nothing wrong with buying quality used equipment ! Start your search with a good quality single stage press like a RCBS rock chucker,they will last 3 lifetimes and as all RCBS products have a lifetime repair policy,There is also fine presses like the Hornady ,and the Lyman and the Lee Classic cast is also very well made and and can be bought new at a very fair price ,Next look for dies any of the major brands are fine.The one piece of equipment you dont want to go cheap on is a scale! buy a good one like a RCBS or Hornady stay away from the lee scale! again Used is fine as most reloading gear is built very well and most reloaders care for their equipment. Another good place to look is at the next gunshow in Greensburg as there is always used gear for sale!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So its safe to say that if I buy the majority of my equipment used it will still work as new?
sorry if my questions are stupid but I never reloaded anything other than 12ga.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I load on a used lee turrent press my brother gave me after he bought a dillion progressive press, my brother loaded thousands of rounds on the lee and it is working great for me. if you are going to use lee products, buy the lee reloading manuel, it explains the lee products, plus has a lot of loads. everything else i bought from midway or cabelas over the internet. good advice on a good manual scale, also get a good caliper. send for some catalogs from differant supplyers so you can see the pics, read the specs and compare the prices, once you order from them, they will send new catalogs all the time.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Used Rock chuckers are going for an average of $50 on ebay, so there is a start:)

·
Gold Bullet member
1,234 Posts
So its safe to say that if I buy the majority of my equipment used it will still work as new.
For the most part yes.And if you can get a used Rock Chucker for 50.00 that a very fair price.

·
Registered
35 Posts
So its safe to say that if I buy the majority of my equipment used it will still work as new?
sorry if my questions are stupid but I never reloaded anything other than 12ga.
If the used equipment is in good condition, then generally yes, with a few caveats. Make sure any used pistol sizing dies are carbide or titanium nitride, so you won't have to lube the cases. Older dies may not be. In the last several years, many presses have added better spent primer handling, which avoids having primers and debris scattered on the bench and floor beneath your press.

Andy

·
Registered
696 Posts
Economical and Very Functional Setup

DannyBoy

I use the following setup and have found it to work really well. I've loaded a lot of good ammo just using the lee hand-press. I don't use the mounted press much at all. Then again I don't desire or require high volume loading either. 1

Note the electronic scale pictured is a real POS and I use the Lee scale that came with the anniversary kit. Hope this helps. I also bumped a thread in this forum where all the great guys helped get me going in reloading for milsurps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts