Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to recieve some feed back on those who reload for this caliber. I assume the 6.5 X 54 Greek brass from Norma will be the base for the conversion ( it cost less than the 6.5 Arisaka for some reason), I will have to special order the die from RCBS which will cost around $150 . My question is that how much cost effective for this caliber compare to convert the VZ52 rifle into 7.62 X 39 and simply use the Wolf and other Russian import ammo. Also can I use the 110 grain carbine bullet for the reload ? I tried this round nose stubby bullet with French Mas 49/56 in .308 and I have 100 % FTF so I wonder if this happen with the Czeh rifle which design around pointed FMJ bullet ?

·
Registered
320 Posts
7.62x45 brass

There are a cpl of members who convert brass from other calibers to this rather unique chambering. If you will check the Czech section of these forums, you will be able to read some of their posts where they converted .220 Swift. Just my .02s worth-

·
Super Moderator
9,229 Posts
7,62x45

Case conversion from 6,5 Carcano or 6,5 MS is the simplest way to go...any other shell(6,5 Japanese, .220 Swift) requires Rim turning as well, so if you don't have a Micro/Mini lathe, forget this last option.
6,5 Carcano cases (Grafs, PP) are reasonable cheap now.
The other (Cheap)one that can be used, is 35 Remington, but some rim turning is also required here as well.

Converting the rifle to 7,62x39...easier to go out and buy a Vz52/57, which is in 7,62x39 factory made. And the number of 7,62x45 Vz52 rifles out there is a Limited (and fixed) quantity...conversion would remove a member of this relatively scarce collectible from the Collector's market.

Last option.. Berdan reload the original Czech ammo. (I do this, after years of making 7,62x45 cases by head swaging 7,62x51 Nato cases)

A good number... I rarely fire mine on a range due to Local Prohibitions on SA firearms...(but not in my laboratory, where everything goes rock and roll.)
Better ballistics than the 7,62x39, by far, and also better hunting capabilities.

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics
(Down Under)

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Was the original ammo reloadable for them, I have a large can of it,tossed in the back of the ammo locker,came with a couple VZ52's years ago, seems to me I bought the ammo and they threw in the rifles or some such promotion. big tin cans you cut open with little blue paper boxes of cartidges inside. lots of it didnt go off, but that may have been the rifles too,dirty filthy things someone had painted "commando" black, I dumped them with a hundered rounds of ammo each and sold off the rest of the other can,still got one on the shelf..Ive been gonna strip it down for the components but it hasnt seemed worth the bother.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,961 Posts
Sandy

I reload for my VZ52. Yes, you can form the brass, but since you made the investment in the dies, just buy the brass from Buffalo Arms. Its not cheap but its done right. You can evn buy loaded rounds then reload. The 7.62x45 is a far more accurate round in this rifle as it was designed.

Here is my current load:
All usual disclaimers apply, only use in a rifle in good working condition, start with a reduced load and work up.

Powder: IMR 4198
Charge: 27.5 gr
Bullet: Hornady 123gr .310 dia FMJ
Primer: CCI 34
Case: Reformed 220 Swift

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the information , I am going to take DocAV's advice and not converted my Vz 52 into 7.62X 39. I will order the die from RCBS and start gather all the components :)

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Reloading 7.62X45

There is a group buy going on for Lee dies on another forum. Check with Lee and see if they are in production. The original steel case ammo usually has a lot of rust in the inside and most of the primers are dead. The bullets are nearly welded in the case by the rust. Difficult to pull, even with a collet puller. The bullets are steel core also. If you have the time and berdan primers, it is worth the effort to reprime them. Once they are fired with non-corrosive primers, they are easy to reload. It gets pretty expensive to shoot if you have to reform commercial cases. To do it right, you will need to anneal the necks and inside neck ream the formed cases to ensure they will chamber.

·
Gold Bullet member
842 Posts
I was able to do a nice job using a drill press to turn the rim and recut the extractor groove in .220 Swift cases. Used a file to turn the rim down and a hacksaw blade to cut the groove. Just made rim and groove conform to same dimensions as 7.62 x 39 mm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello IKE27! Re your post to Sandy 10-18-'07 **
An admirer of the Vz 52 and other Czech models! I was interested in your post of almost 10 years ago now re the 52 !(!Which I recently discovered I might say!) and am very pleased you are still an active respondent in this general field.....In the country I live we are not permitted self loading rifles, due a couple of serious incidents, however I would like to ask you about the Vz 52 its reliability, its accuracy compared to other similar types eg.SKS and your general reloading experiences with the .220 swift cases and the velocities you have obtained with the powders you may have used and comparison to the AK M43 round ?
Thank you for your Posts,
Czech 3.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts