Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I hope it's okay to place this thread here. If I input it in the wrong location, I apologize...
I just bought a PTR Model 101. I'm looking forward to getting it; I owned a CETME many years ago. It was fun to own, shoot, and work on but like so many others, buying and selling is part of the hobby....I remember reading on this thread that the G3 / H&K rifles were designed for the M80. All ammo or equivalent... I thought with the twist of the PTR barrel (1 in 10"), it should be okay to shoot heavier bullet loads;(165-168 gr)... through it.... if you can, do you have to be aware of the powder you use so not to damage the rifle like you would do an M1 Garand or M1A? If so, what powder has the proper burn rate? What kind of success have you all gotten with what loads? Thanks!

·
Registered
420 Posts
The CETME/HK use a delayed blow-back, so no gas port pressure or operating rod to worry about. The roller lock systems design works very well with light loads up to heavier with no problem. I loaded for accuracy in my 308's using WC-846, IMR-4064, IMR-4895, Win 748 and Varget. For blasting ammo, I used 147gr pulled or new fmj bullets. 165gr hunting bullets and 168gr Sierra Match Kings were very accurate.

·
Registered
21,216 Posts
If the rifle were mine, I'd load using data for M14 ...in powders and bullet weights. The one exception would be not to go up to 175 gr bullets , hold at 168 gr as poster above reports good
performance with.

Pulled bullets in 147 weight can be found and my experience (I bought 1000 of them and got rid of 900 pronto !!), is they are worthless at 300 yds unless you want a area pattern of inaccuracy. If that constitutes blasting ammo, then its perfect for hitting the state you live in and not the target down range.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.