Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an RV85 flare launcher. For those of you not familiar with it, it's built like a punt gun.

I want to reload some of the spent parachute flare cases.
I drilled out the primer pocket for a shotgun primer and it works so far.
I'd like to use about 10 to 20 grains of fffg BLACKPOWDER to launch a "buzz bomb"
a buzz bomb is a real simple roadside legal firework. It is a cylinder that fits nicely in the spent 26.5 casing. It has a fuse on the rear and when lit it shoots sparklies and pops with a bang (cost a whopping 50 cents each)

My plan is to put in the black powder,
1/4inch of cardboard wadding with a hole drilled in the center for a fuse
push the "buzz bomb while aligning the fuse through the wadding and making contact with the black powder.

My concerns are
Am I going to die?
This is weaker than the load data for the heavier aluminum reloadable cases. They allow up to 45 grains fffg black powder on a 18mm diameter casing.

Is the thinner wall of the surplus cases a problem for such a light load?

Has anyone tried to launch roadside fireworks from an rv85?

I'm not looking for anything too powerfull I just want to play around with it while keeping my fingers intact.

Any suggestions?

p.s
I have no intention of breaking any laws. I am familair with the laws regarding what we can and can not fire out of these things. I'd like to come up with a safe plan and then varifiy its legality.
But thanks in advance for the warnings :)

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
I have tried similar things in my Flare carbine. You will not need more than 15grs of Black Powder. One problem is the BLAST from your propelling charge may BLOW through your wad and the fuze of your buzz bomb and set off the bomb in the barrel or light the fuze right where the fuze enters the actual buzz bomb. This will blow up the bomb in the bore or just after it leaves the muzzle. No real damage done but wear glasses and the least flamable clothing you own.

You may want to run the fuze through a notch in the EDGE of the wad. This does not allow the propellant blast a straight path to the base/fuze entry point of the buzz bomb and gives you at least a short length of burnable fuse so your bomb will gain some altitude before ignition.

·
Registered
21,259 Posts
My concerns are
Am I going to die?

Great question, add Am I going to be blinded, hurt, maimed?

Look: lots of things you can do in life but think hard now: you really want to
load something that will risk exploding in the barrel of a weapon not intended
for such pressures and flare weapons have barrels that are hardly robust !

You would ask on the internet if such an idea is a good one when your common sense
had you initiate the most obvious risk: Am I going to die ?

Think for yourself, don't do this flare reload nonsense and don't take others advice when it comes to your safety.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
9,174 Posts
"Am I going to die?"

I don't know, but if you insist on doing this, we need to see video of the results...

"Any suggestions"

Yes, don't do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.