Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my quest to find decent non-corrosive ammo for my SVT I tried reloading some surplus bullets and powder into brass cases. I used some Czech light ball, 80s dated with copperwash cases. Pulled the bullets with a collet puller and weighed all the powder charges. The lot I had was loaded with stick powder, not the ball powder listed on 7.62x54r.net. I used brass cases from Wolf Gold ammo, PPU stuff.
I loaded a few cases with a sightly reduced charge, and a few with what was basicly the average military load, reducing a hair for safety. I don't know whether one can simply dump powder from a steel case into a brass case and expect it to work safely.
At the range all rounds ejected OK, I didn't experience any stuck cases. Most ejected fine at 1.1, but I needed to go to 1.2 to get 100% function. Just a couple "stove pipes" at 1.1 Accuracy exceeded my expectations. Powder is very dirty, though. I started with the reduced charges, saw no overpressure signs, then tried full power, also no signs. Your rifle may be different though.
The only thing that throws a wrench into my plan is that the rifle is hard on cases. About 60% of ejected cases show a dent about midway down on the length of the case. I assume that it is being dented on the bolt carrier or dust cover, but I can't see where. Does anyone know where cases hit on the SVT? Maybe I can made a pad to cover the area.

·
Admin Emeritus
19,073 Posts
The gun will beat up your brass for sure. Shoot surplus in it and clean the gun-Its only 6 parts to disassemble to clean it completely. Barrel band, Handguards- sheet metal top guard and wood one, bolt cover and carrier and gas piston and cup.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.