Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am through with the interstice period, and am now importing from the Second Board (31st August 2003 to 16th August 2007). So, all threads should have their first initial posting, and the right sequence of responses too.

Author Topic
Matthew Pahl
Gunboards Member
13 Posts
Posted - 09/29/2003 : 11:34:47 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Folks. I have a 1916 CG Target Rifle with a Soderin sight. I shot 3-shot .75" groups at 100 yards with this with Vanasverken ammo made in 1987. This is the best shooting of my life! I only had a box of twenty. I want to duplicate this load exactly ...OAL...powder...etc. Do you guys have any info on how or specs? thanks!

Rev. Two Bands
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member
1022 Posts
Posted - 09/30/2003 : 9:14:31 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, get thyself a reloading manual and start experimenting !

P. Greaney
Gunboards Member
74 Posts
Posted - 09/30/2003 : 10:50:53 PM

I also have a rifle such as you describe and wanted to approximate the Swedish surplus ammo with the 139 grain bullet. I went to a website that I don't remember now and took the statistics of the ammo in meters per second and converted it to feet per second then went to my Sierra manual and loaded up what I thought was the equivalent to achieve the feet per second using IMR 4895 and used the Sierra 140 gr HPBT and went to the range. All I could say was "wow" it performed very well I shot it at five hundred yards and was amazed and so was everyone else watching. Sorry I can't give you particulars as the information is not available to me at this time.

aviator
Starting Member
9 Posts
Posted - 10/01/2003 : 5:24:57 PM

Try the following: Trim your brass to 54,9mm use a CCI200 large rifle
primer load it with 38,0 grains of N140 seat a LAPUA B343 (144grains)
bullet to get a 79,0mm OAL.
Each of my 7 swedish rifles (m96,m38,m63) likes this load the best.
If you like to work with complicated inches(swedish rifles do not)
One inch equals 25,4mm.

And I shall add one posting from Wartuna, in another thread (which was named "Load for CG m96 (1909)"), during the interstice:

Quote Wartuna
Posted: 30 Aug 2007 at 6:49am

You are right, Varget is a bit on the fast side. I have had best results with H4350. Besides Varget, others I have tried are IMR 4350 (a bit dirty), N160 ( not so accurate), and N550 (OK but not as accurate or clean as H4350). Certainly there are other choices. I use 40 grains of H4350 -- a bit on the light side but easily tolerated by the rifle and the brass (19 reloads on one batch so far). You will never find the lands on a CG barrel with 139/140/142 g bullets as the chambers of Swede Mausers are very generous and the throats are tapered. However, you might with 160 g bullets -- but why? I use Sierra 140 g HPBT slugs and load them to and overall length of 3.127 in -- which is longer than the factory recommendation. Since I have a number of Swedes, I always full length size the cases (Swedes have surprisingly different chambers) and crimp the bullets (due to controlled feed and I use a Lee factory crimp die). If you have a good barrel and eyes, you may find your groups to be an embarrassment to those using scoped hunting rifles and factory ammo.

FWIW,

Newbie Walt

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Duplicating m/94 and m/41 ball

fernleaf
New Zealand
Posted - 10/18/2006 : 03:20:48 AM
Hi guys, I am looking to duplicate Swedish m/94 and m/41 Ball. The surplus 1970s stuff dried up here years ago, and commands big prices when it is found even in very small quantities.

Most reloading manuals (as I'm sure we all know) offer loads on the conservative side for 6.5x55, and are usually from 18" barrels.

Can anyone share their loads with me? I intend to use Lapua 139grn HPBT Scenars or 144 grn FMJBT (they are cheaper than the Scenars...) and Sierra 160 grn SMP projectiles loaded with ADI (Hodgdon) powder.

jim in Oregon
Posted - 10/18/2006 : 7:02:59 PM

Fernleaf in NZ: Do you have access to REL 22 powder in NZ? I have found that this powder is the closest to the powder in burn rate etc to the Swede milsurp powder they used which is currently available.
For the M96, this powder duplicates the accuracy of the M94/41 Prickskytte ammo when used in decent Swede 6,5x55 spec brass (Lapua/Norma) with standard primers (or Berdan for the milsurp brass) and a 139-142 grain quality spitzer bullet.
I have also used this powder for propelling the Sierra 160 grain SMP which has a similar BC to the mil round nose 158 grain bullets loaded in the Swede ammo.

There are better powders in the Reloader ( Alliant Powder) for the Swede M38,what we call the M96/38, and the AGm/42b Ljungman. REL 15 in particular which has a slightly faster burn rate.

I have proven loads for all these rifles which far exceed accuracy and performance of the Hodgdon-IMR,VV..whether one wishes to hunt or shoot in subzero or 100 F temps..slow, timed and rapid fire.Jim

fernleaf
New Zealand
Posted - 10/19/2006 : 02:28:26 AM
I have seen Vihtavouri powders advertised, but they are expensive, and most companies that sell powder in NZ will not ship it. It can only - legally - be shipped via rail, which only adds to the cost.

Have never encountered any of the Reloader powders here, other than one can of REL 7 at a small gunshop years ago.

We are a bit hard up for powder choice in NZ, unfortunately. Can't get IMR powders anymore, have never seen Norma powders, nor Reloader, or Accurate Arms. Winchester 760 and 748 are available. Most NZ reloaders would work with ADI powders, which are made in Australia, and sold in the US as Hodgdon powders.
Edited by - fernleaf on 10/19/2006 02:33:06 AM

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone replicate m/41 ball ammo?

Tedly
Posted - 02/15/2007 : 8:58:25 PM

At the risk of exasperating those of you true Swede affectionados... Has anyone arrived at a hand load that groups as well as the Swede ball ammo?

I'm sure this has been asked many times in the past, but I recently "rediscovered" my son's m/96 GC. For the first time in how ever many years we've had this rifle, I just now today had the opportunity to shoot some original ball ammo through it.I was truely amazed! This ball ammo and m/96 GC out-shot any milsurp rifle/ball combo I've ever had with the possible exception of my Persian M98/29 and a Finned M91 1908 Tula...

The fact is I'd have to get out the targets and compare and that tells me how close it would be. 10 shots @ 100yds. POA=POI and all within 1.120" exteme spread, including 2 shots that I "pulled and called". This was today in Detroit @ 12 degrees and probably at the upper end of my vision ability.

Wish I had known how good this stuff was before it got scarce and pricey... Remember when all matching long rifles in excellent condition were $99.99 at the local gunshows! In any event, your help would be appreciated... Todays experience made me want to through away my reloading dies and order some ball. Thanks in advance...Tedly

jim in Oregon
Posted - 02/16/2007 : 07:16:44 AM

Tedly, The Swede M94/41 ball ammo is getting harder to find and expensive.
I have reloaded for a number of years and can better accuracy with reloads.

Lapua brass. WLR primers. 139-140 grain bullets (Lapua or Sierra is what I use in hunting type) Rel 22 powder around 46 grains, standard trim OAL. MV about 2550 in the M96, MOA accuracy to 300 yards from a rest or position shooting with a sling.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts