Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buckshot
Posted - 10/12/2003 : 06:04:51 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Below are some targets shot with my M38 FC. I used Lee C309150F (150gr), C309160R (157gr), and Lyman 311291 (173gr) cast bullets. I had slugged the barrel which came in at .301". I turned a push through size die @ .302". The bullets were first Tumble Lubed, then run into a .308" lube-size die to fill the lube grooves and seat gas checks.

Then they were run up through the .302" die. The chamberneck was so tight that I had to turn the casenecks to .010" to get them to chamber. The cases are Norma, and the 100 I bought cost about what I paid for the rifle. Naturally this was just before Graf & Son announced that Hornady was going to offer them :-(.

BTW, I don't care what anyone says. Norma rims are TOO thick! The new Hornady brass is superb. It fits under the extractor of my M38 and M91/38 Mosch TS perfectly. The Norma is a PITA!

Also, if you are using the Lee dies, they use the std Mauser .473" shellholder (their #2) for the Carcano. Shuck that immediately and get a Hornady #12. THAT is the exact correct perfect shellholder for the Carcano, believe you me.

Loading was with visually inspected bullets and thrown powder charges. Since the slugs were sized to .302", it's obvious they were too fat to engrave as a bore rider would. They were merely butted up to the lands. The heavy 173gr Lyman was seated deep as was the 160gr Lee. It's very obvious to me that this M38 is a capable shooter and a truly correct bullet would allow it to show it's full potential.

Well that and better sights. The issue sights may have been okay for combat but for target work they suck channel water big time. I wish that someone who's done it could tell me for sure how much heartache is involved in removeing the rear, fixed sightblock. I could then fabricate a replacement with a honest to pete adjustable one without ruining the collectability. These rifles WILL shoot!

In targets 5 thru 9 that 10 ring is 1.125" in diameter. Data is given: VEL/Extreme Spread/Std Deviation

1) Lee C309150F, 8.0 Red Dot = 1300/21/9
2) " " , 17.0 2400 = 1830/28/12
3) Lee C309160R, 17.0 2400 = 1817/21/11 (double in the 10 ring)
4) Same load as above
5) Lee C309160R, 23.0 H4198 = 2009/16/7
6 & 8) Lee C309160R, 32.0 surp 4895 = 2072/79/34 & 2064/57/21
7) Lee C309160R, 17.0 2400 = 1824/35/13
9) Lee C309160R, 12.0 SR7625 = 1583/15/6

As you can see, some of these were moving along at a pretty respectable speed. The fact that nothing was wild just indicates that tinkering with and tightening up the loading proceedures has definate promise.

The above is one of 50 rounds comprising 5 loads using the new Hornady 123gr SP bullet. Using some Lee data, and some extrapolated from the 6.5x54 M-S. I'll be shooting these this coming Tuesday. You can see the turned caseneck in this photo. It's not required with these jacketed bullets.

jonk
Posted - 10/12/2003 : 10:44:43 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have tried the same with a .301 size die with bad luck... but I ordered a .300 mould from a company in Australia and have had very good results myself, too bad I have no pics though. I still would like to get some more jacketed bullets as I have had very good luck with those as well. Thanks for sharing.

kywoodwrkr
Posted - 10/15/2003 : 10:28:07 AM
I think NEI makes a mould in the .300 arena.
I have a three cavity mould, 3 different bullets and one of them is the 140(?) gr ,300 bullet.
Haven't gotten time to cast and etc yet.

PS If the Australian co is the one I'm thinking of they have extremely good products also!

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Buckshot
Posted - 08/02/2004 : 06:31:28 AM

..........Graf & Son offers 6.5mm Carcano brass and bullets, and Lee makes both 6.5 & 7.35 diesets also for sale at Graf's. To make 7.35mm brass merely run the 6.5mm into the size die. Lee diesets include some rudimentary reloading data.

I much prefer the Graf's brass over Norma. Besides Graf's being 1/3rd the cost, the rim is thinner. I bought 100 rnds of Norma just before Graf's announced the availability of their brass (naturally :) and paid as much for that 100 rounds as I did for my M38 FC. The thinner rims allow the bolt of my rifle to operate much easier. The Norma's thicker rims would occasionally fail to fully seat on the boltface due to getting hung up under the extractor.

No such problems with the Graf's stuff. Apparently some of the M38 had tight chambers and mine is an example. My shooting is 95% cast bullets and since the groove of my rifle was .301" I made a push through die to reduce .308" cast bullets to .302". There was no way in heck a .302" slug in a case would chamber. I had to turn the casenecks in order to shoot them.

I have gotten superb accuracy from my M38 and the Lee C309150F lube-sized .309" and then reduced to .302". I've driven this slug to almost 2200 fps and at 50 yards it will group in 1.5" for the most part. I've built the front sight up with epoxy in order to have a 'regular' type sight picture.

Rick

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
140 gr cast bullet mould from NEI

kywoodwrkr
Posted - 03/29/2005 : 6:01:01 PM
On the issue of 7,35 bullets.
NEI makes a bullet mould, #36, which is .300" and cast at about 140 Gr with a GC.
Reference NEIhandtools.
They will make a double cavity mould with two different bullets if desired.
$15 extra for two different bullets added to base $75.
FWIW DaveP

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hard Cast Bullets for 7.35 - Manufacturer's Reply

7.35x51
Posted - 07/13/2005 : 1:03:33 PM
Hi Board,

Got this reply to my inquiry regarding the potential future availability of hard cast lubed & gas chedcked bullets for the 7.35....this came from Beartooth Bullet (great product, btw) and I thought the response was very thoughtful and useful - so I figured I'd share it here. Bad news.....no 7.35 bullets, but read on.....

Subj: FW: 7.35mm Carcano Bullets (about .300" dia.)
Date: 7/13/2005 9:08:34 AM Pacific Daylight Time
To: [email protected]

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 8:20 AM
To: 'Beartooth Bullets'
Subject: RE: 7.35mm Carcano Bullets (about .300" dia.)

Mr. Johnstone,

Thank you for your email! I’m glad that you have had good success with our .44 caliber bullets…. That’s always good news, and I appreciate the feedback!

Now, regarding the bullets for the Carcano. Actually, yours is only the third request I can remember for .300”-.302” diameter bullets in the fourteen years we have been in business! The actual demand is so small that I’ve never even considered tooling up for them in any configuration. While there are is a dedicated and loyal following for the 7.35 Carcano, I really question how many of those folks shooting them would actually shoot cast bullets if they were available. I was recently looking over our sales figures for the last combined three years, and looking at sales trends and ratios, and it was surprising to me that while we offer an extensive line of .30 caliber cast bullets, and with the plethora of cartridges that shoot .30 caliber bullets, and the popularity of those cartridges, with so many of them very well suited to cast bullet loads, they comprise ONLY 2% of our total sales! Had someone told me that, I wouldn’t have believed it, but I was looking at the composite sales over three years! So, in light of those figures, I’m really doubtful that bullets for the 7.35 would be run-away best sellers.

Now, not to speak doom and gloom, I do have a suggestion for you that just might be very interesting, and provide some surprising results in your Carcano. Have you ever tried paper-patching bullets? There are some great resources both in book form and on the net regarding paper patching if you haven’t. However, I’m thinking that if you began with a cast bullet of about .286”-.287” and paper patched them, you might just have a great shooter. I’ve come to be very fond of using Avery style address labels for paper patching, cutting them to the appropriate length for the requisite number of wraps necessary to achieve your desired end-bullet-diameter, rolling them on the bullet, placed such that the paper portion is just engaging the lands in the throat of the rifle when the bullet is seated where the base is totally contained inside the base of the neck. Then, with the patch thus positioned and wrapped the appropriate number of wraps to get proper bullet diameter, then trim off even with the base with either an exacto-knife or razor-bladed utility knife. Finally, let either sit in the sun fon a window-sill or a few days, or cook in the oven at about 150 degrees for two hours to properly cure the adhesive on the labels. Then once properly cured, lube them with Lee Liquid Alox bullet lubricant (a very cheap liquid bullet lube… costs about two bucks for enough to do a thousand bullets), and let cure and dry at least 24 hours. Load using a Lyman “M” type neck expander die to prevent tearing the paper patch with the case mouth when seating the bullets. As simple as this is, I’ll be that it’ll work wonders in your rifle. The other great thing about paper-patched bullets is that you can run them at full-snort velocities if you choose, you can shoot softer bullets than otherwise possible, for some really great performance on game, and lastly, even rather heavily pitted barrels respond very favorably to bullets patched in this manner!

I hope this helps….

Thanks for the email.

God bless

Marshall Stanton

Romans 1:16

208-437-1865

www.BeartoothBullets.com

airdale
Posted - 07/13/2005 : 3:33:37 PM
7.35x51 you can get a .300 dia. bullet sizing die from Lee Precision for $25 + $4 shipping that you can use to swage the more common .308 cast bullets to .300 dia. I use this die also to swage .308 dia. Speer 150 SP jacketed bullets to .300 dia. (It actually sizes the jacketed bullets to .301 dia.). I also had them make a .266 dia. die for me because some of my Carcanos don't like the .268 dia Hornady bullet and this die will resize them to .266 dia.
These dies will work in any common reloading press, so no special equipment is needed. Lube the jacketed bullets with Lee case lube prior to sizing.
It takes about 3-4 weeks to receive them after you place your order.

7.35x51
Posted - 07/14/2005 : 5:15:56 PM
I'm going to give that a shot. I'd heard about this but couldn't locate a .300" sizing - ty for the info. Peter J/

NebrHogger
Posted - 07/14/2005 : 10:08:47 PM
I also ordered one of these, and if work will ever settle down, I'll start working on an accuracy load for 150 gr hard cast, gas checked bullets. I also scored an old Lyman double cavity .270 mold today and will start casting for 6.5 Carcano, as well. I hope to have some viable data by late fall. For sizing jacketed bullets, you can also spray them with case lube. SW

vernz
Posted - 07/15/2005 : 12:02:52 PM
I have an old ideal .300 150gr bullet mould. It drops gas checked bullets at .301 - .302 with wheel weights. It has 3 marks on the mould 300, 136, 463. Something to keep an eye out for when you are at gun shows.

7.35x51
Posted - 07/15/2005 : 5:41:09 PM
Hey, hey, hey......look at what Meister Bullets, Inc. tells me in connection with my inquiry about - you guessed it, .300" hard cast, lubed and GC bullets......

Now don't get so worked up with this potentially good news that you became a pest to your wife, girlfriend, or whatever.....floats you boat.....;

Subj: Re: 7.35mm Carcano Bullets (about .300" dia.)
Date: 7/14/2005 8:42:58 PM Pacific Daylight Time

Hope to be of further service to you in the near future!

Bill Casey

-----Original Message-----
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 00:04:08 EDT
Subject: Re: 7.35mm Carcano Bullets (about .300" dia.)

TY Mr. Casey

rocklock
Posted - 07/25/2005 : 11:02:26 PM
Looks like Wayne Doudna at Custum Cast Bullets is offering a .300" 146 gr. GC bullet at http://www.ltdcustomcastbullets.com/

$40/500

jonk
Posted - 07/26/2005 : 09:22:19 AM
There is a place in australia with a very good .300" mould on the shelf in their production line; it is called ammodump though I forget their websight.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jonk
Posted - 12/19/2005 : 11:22:58 PM
Handloading is easy and it is an accurate gun. Mine will shoot 5" at 100 y using 130 gr cast bullets and 11 gr of Red Dot, or slightly better with jacketed bullets. Maybe 4". I suspect the sights are at fault in large part, as I have to estimate aim point; shoots high with jacketed, low with light loaded cast. I imagine if you practice it would do 3" at 100, good for any short rifle.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NebrHogger
Posted - 08/07/2006 : 7:57:07 PM

The 7.35 REALLY lends itself well to cast bullets! I size down hardcast, gas checked bullets from Leadheads using a custom sizer from Lee. ( 25 + postage) While I was at it, I sized down some .329 205 grain bullets meant for my 8X50R Steyrs and used them in an 8X57mm Carcano conversion. That worked well, too as most of those bores are in excellent condition. Doesn't kick your shoulder off to fire them, either! SW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts