Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
jonk
Posted - 11/09/2003 : 06:38:17 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just thought I'd chime in. A lot of folks have asked about salvaging components from this stuff, which was available some months back and is probably gone for good, at least in any quantity. Here are my results and opinions.

Personally, I shoot the ammo as is. The carcano action is strong, has pretty good gas venting, and I always wear shooting goggles. I find about 40% fires perfectly and is very accurate. About 30-40% has hangfires; accuracy depends on your ability not to flinch. The rest is just duds.

I pulled the bullets on the duds and tumbled in corn and mineral spirits, then just in corn and case cleaner. I then took the bullets and salvaged solenite powder (incidentally I have found only one round with degraded powder, despite the ratty outside appearence of this stuff) and seated them in boxer cases.

1. I used a mix of Norma 6.5MS resized and trimmed to 6.5Carc and PRVI Partisan brass.
2. I used regular, not Mag primers and have not had an ignition problem yet.
3. I used Lee dies, unmodified; the bullet is a tight fit, yes, but I haven't crumpled a case yet; I DO slightly feel the bullet scrape in the seating die but haven't had one get stuck yet, but it is possible so watch out!
4. There were no signs of excessive pressure.
5. Accuracy was slightly better than the original surplus.
6. Make sure to settle the solenite. I do this by holding the charged case atop my case cleaner while running. Otherwise there won't be enough room to seat the bullet.

My only caution would be not to use these in a Vetterli, and to check your personal gun for signs of pressure before just blasting away, but for those that got in on the buy, or just anyone who is curious, there it is.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hmm. Well I'll update my original post since Carcano was nice enough to bring it back to life. Note the pressure issue.

1. I've added Grafs brass to the mix, no problem.
2. I still find this to be true.
3. The Lee .268 expander actually leaves the case neck too loose. However- the Lee .268 seater works a lot better than the original .264 seater.
4. Well....depends on the gun. I did have signs of excessive pressure in one carbine, so am reducing the load across the board. The original solenite load was about 35 gr, give or take; I'm now using 31. I'd start there; if you care to work up to the full charge again, do it in steps. I've also reloaded some of the pulled bullets with 4064 using the Hornady .268 data; it was actually LESS accurate than the old solenite, so go figure.
5. Still true.
6. Still true.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
johnnyboy
Posted - 04/06/2004 : 04:23:13 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can i pull the smi 30's vintage ammo and use the bullet and propellant in modern cases?

lpcullen
Posted - 04/06/2004 : 08:52:47 AM
Definitely. I think that is what a lot of people did with the surplus carcano ammo that was around sometime back. I have shot quite a bit of the surplus and haven't gotten a dud yet, I guess I've just been lucky:)

DMala
Posted - 04/07/2004 : 4:25:21 PM
Yes, yes, it is a good thing to do! Just be careful with the solenite dose, although I guess case dimensions may not really allow much room to overcharge it!

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Using military bullets

WesinMI
Posted - 09/27/2005 : 4:24:40 PM

I've downloaded a lot of them and reused the macaroni style powder of the original 6.5 loadings at 35.3 gr. with Win LR primers and OAL of 2.900", case length max 2.067". I also got good results with 30.0 gr of H4895. I've also shot some with A2400, 16.0 to 18.0 gr. but accuracy was not very good. H4895 showed the best results for me in several of my Carcanos. The pulled bullets mic at .2665 on average and work with either the .264 or .268 Lee expander.

shjoe
Posted - 09/29/2005 : 2:17:10 PM

recently started working with reloader 15 and sierra 140gr gamemaster bullets. 50yd 5 shot groups from a rest, 1 1/4 with some touching. 100yd off hand 3 shot 2" groups, so far, with ghost ring sights and 20" barrel. had to increase elevation from the privi partisan ammo setting. which makes sense, the privi being hotter. will advise as testing continues. john
consistant accuracy out to 125yds. 2 1/4" 3 shot groups from a rest with sierra soft point 140gr bullets and reloader 15. 18" barrel heats up quickly with lots of muzzel flash (although not as much as an M-N M44), moschetto carbine with ghost ring and fiberoptic sights. that would be the limit of my over 40 eyes. rifle weighs 6# with sling and 7rds of ammo, 37" long. very little recoil,is easy to carry and quick on target for new england white tail hunting where most shooting is well under 100yds. john

Edited by - shjoe on 10/06/2005 06:05:11 AM

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reload 7.35 Berdan Primed?

rewster
Posted - 01/15/2006 : 10:54:29 AM
Anybody out there do any reloading of the berdan primed 7.35 ?

regards....roger

airdale
Posted - 01/15/2006 : 11:33:18 AM
Roger the original carcano ammo used a small sized berdan primer that is .204 dia. (standard is .217 dia.) and as far as I know is no longer manufactured.

rewster
Posted - 01/15/2006 : 11:45:27 AM
Originally posted by airdale
Roger the original carcano ammo used a small sized berdan primer that is .204 dia. (standard is .217 dia.) and as far as I know is no longer manufactured.
The stuff I have is marked SMI 939. If this is the original, it's too bad, I thought somebody could use it !

regards....roger

1 - 5 of 5 Posts