Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ed Novak
Posted - 11/15/2005 : 12:23:16 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder what powders other reloaders have had success with in reloading the 6.5 X 55mm? Not looking for specific loads, unless someone wishes to list the powder and bullet weight that worked well. This post could well fit on the Handloader Forum but that forum is generalized, not specific to this cartridge. I have had great success with 33-33.5gr of IMR4895 with the Speer 140gr Spire point - not a "potent" load but one that shoots very well with my M96. I am about to run out of IMR4895 and am looking for a powder or two that has worked well for others using the same bullet.

boltactionsforever
Posted - 11/15/2005 : 12:17:36 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a pet load that works well for me in most applications other then the m94 carbines......

I use the older version round nose bullet---160g hornaday...

The reason I use this bullet is many--but in a nutshell, it increased sectional density--bearing surface--and reduces freebore space on these long throat military guns is a huge plus!

My pet load is 40g IMR4350, 160g round nose bullet, seat the bullet within .015 of the ojive of EACH rifle(there different!)...Crony measures 2256-2261 fps in the m96's....roughly 40 fps slower in the m38 versions. The increadable consistance crony FPS tell you how darn forgiving this load is at the muzzle....If you dont have a cronograph for your reloading supplies---there money well spent!---You will learn a lot, I know I have!

Normally this load is good for 1-2" groups @ 100 yards open sites when I do my part off the bench....This is also a very good hunting load also!

Hope this helps---I have tried this load with the 140g bullets also that did show some success, but the positive effects of lighter weight and the speer pointed bullet, did not outweight the other factors in my experiances.

houstonfrank
Posted - 11/15/2005 : 1:01:16 PM

With 140 gr. and 142 Gr. Sierra match, Sierra 140 Gr.SBT, 140 Gr. Berger VLD, and 139 Gr. Lapua Scenar I have had excellent results with RL-22 and acceptable results with IMR 7828 although I believe both powders are a little too slow and may be better suited to the 160 Gr. bullets. I am still working up loads so I am not through experimenting yet. With the 120 Gr. bullets, RL-19 is giving me very good accuracy.

Ed Novak
Posted - 11/15/2005 : 8:29:00 PM

BAF: I have just started some loading with IMR4350 but not enough to find a really decent load yet. I found a load of 33 to 33.5gr IMR4895 with the 140gr Speer bullet to shoot 1.2" groups (one five-rd batch of each). Houstonfrank: I will look at RL22 data. I need to purchase some pwdr in the near future. I plan to stick with the 140gr bullet for target use since that is approximately the bullet weight for which the rifle was "set up" originally (I think). Thanks to both of you. ed

texaggie77
Posted - 11/15/2005 : 9:58:05 PM

I use H4895 and it works great.

Swede-Fiend
Posted - 11/16/2005 : 08:01:10 AM
I use H414 with very good results.

houstonfrank
Posted - 11/16/2005 : 09:59:57 AM

Ed--- more follow up on RL-22 if you are interested. I now have seven succesive five shot groups running under 1 MOA with the 139 Lapua and the 140 Berger ahead of RL-22 and WLR primers. Most groups are running under .750" with best to date of .438" with the Berger bullet. Standard deviation on the chronograph is between 9 and 13 fps. Loadings are tending to be lighter than those shown in the Nosler manual. Excessive pressure signs appear between 44 and 45 gr. The load and the rifle are exceeding my poor tired old eyes ability to clearly see the aimimng point and call the conditions. Good luck!

762much
Posted - 11/16/2005 : 12:15:17 PM

I think I read an article by David Fortier about highpower competition using a CG63 with 48.1 gr. of Re22 pushing a 139gr Lapua Scenar? Is this a safe load?

houstonfrank
Posted - 11/16/2005 : 5:13:10 PM

762much---I have two 6.5x55's and I would not try 48.1 gr. of RL-22 in either of my rifles with a 142/139 gr. bullet. Both rifles are comfortable in the 43.5 to 44.5 gr. range with a 142/139 Gr. bullet and beginning to show pressure signs above those levels. Nosler's manual lists a starting load of 42.5 Gr. and a maximum load of 46.5 Gr. of RL-22 with a 140 Gr. bullet. I would stick with those guidelines.

Ed Novak
Posted - 11/16/2005 : 9:12:50 PM

Houstonfrank: Thanks. Next lb. of pwdr purchase will be RL-22. I shot those decent (not as nice as yours, though) with my nice M96. I just received an M38 which I need to load for. You mentioned sights/eyes; I was amazed at the nice sight-picture with the M96. I have always just had "fits" with the iron sights on the SMLE/No.1 - can't see them! Honestly, when I shot the M96, I fired 8 - 9 five round strings from the bench without peeking through the spotting scope until each string was shot - just had that sense that the bullets were going exactly where I wanted them to. I really do like these rifles. ed

pogue
Posted - 11/16/2005 : 10:49:20 PM

140gr Sierra BTSP and 35gr of 4895 has nailed many a Texas hill country deer. Picture below was at 100yds off a bench with my M96 sporter.

http://www.io.com/~pogue/SwedeTgt.jpg
Paul Oats
Edited by - pogue on 11/16/2005 10:52:25 PM

houstonfrank
Posted - 11/17/2005 : 10:59:28 AM

O.K. Paul, I'll try 4895 but I'm not throwing my RL-22 away. Congratulations on an outstanding group. It appears to be between .250" and .350" center to center which is dam good. Is that three shots or five and which 4895? IMR, Hogdon,s or one of the others?
Edited by - houstonfrank on 11/17/2005 11:11:20 AM

Ed Novak
Posted - 11/17/2005 : 7:57:13 PM

Paul: Funny you should mention it... When I shot the 5rd groups from my M96, I found 33 and 33.5gr IMR4895 to group well and 34gr to open up. I had set up 5rds each of 34.5 and 35grs but didn't try them - might have quit early? We shall see, next time out, using both the M96 and the M38. It will be a couple of weeks before I can obtain RL-22. ed

pogue
Posted - 11/17/2005 : 10:10:42 PM

Yeah, I stepped thru the table in 0.5gr increments. It was really interesting to see the group tighten up and then widen up again. I use 4895 in a lot of my loading - not only does it give good accuracy in the right combo, but you also get more rounds per pound than the other pet loads I've seen posted!

Ed Novak
Posted - 11/18/2005 : 7:36:01 PM

Does anyone segregate brass, assigning it to the rifle in which first fired and only neck-sizing? The question, of course, has to do with relative uniformity of chambers of two or more rifles. ed

jim in Oregon
Posted - 11/18/2005 : 8:49:37 PM

Ed, I use either Lapua brass or Swedish Berdan primed( reprimed) Berdan brass.
I neck size for the most part for my Swede Mausers with excellent results, (MOA out to 300 yards) segregating the brass between the M96 and M38 rifles.
The AGm/42B rifles I shoot also get the same treatment.It is not necessary to full length resize even for a semi auto when proper loads are developed and brass is segregated for a particular chamber/rifle..
YES, it's simpler to FL resize, but I have found accuracy is enhanced when one taylors the sizeing to the chamber of the rifle.jim

Ed Novak
Posted - 11/19/2005 : 4:00:56 PM

Jim: Thanks for your reply; another question - I am presently using Remington brass. I find it to require a bit of manipulation in the RCBS #2 shellholder ("corrrect" for the 6.5 X 55) - a responder said that the U.S. mfr'd brass might work better in the 30-06/RCBS #3 holder. Problem is that unless I carefully position the Rem. brass as I resize, the necks will crush. The question is; is Lapua brass dimensionally different from Rem./other U.S. made brass (and therefore, a possible reason for my problem)? TIA. ed

kriggevaer
Posted - 11/19/2005 : 4:21:26 PM

It is my understanding that the Remington brass has a smaller rim diameter than the spec. The Lapua and Norma brass is Swedish spec and I've never had a problem. I don't know about Winchester or Federal 6.5x55 brass rim diameter, I've always used Lapua or Norma.

houstonfrank
Posted - 11/19/2005 : 5:42:59 PM

I don't have any Winchester 6.5x55 but the R-P I have mikes .472"-.473" at the rim where as both Lapua and Norma Mike .477"-.478" at the rim. I have a US chambered 6.5 that will not close on the Lapua brass until it has been full length resized, after that I neck size only. The bolt closes easily on new R-P cases without resizing. That same rifle has a .295" neck so I neck turn the cases to a .0125" wall and use the Redding bushing type S die to neck resize. Those cases are only fired in that rifle. I don't understand the neck crushing unless of course the mouth of the case is off center and catches on the edge of the die. About all you can do there is just come up slowly and hold the case in position as the ram comes up. Several of my shell holders are sloppy enough to allow that to happen and I have just kind of gotten in the habit of guideing the case with my left hand fingers as I pull the handle down.

jim in Oregon
Posted - 11/20/2005 : 08:32:25 AM

Yes, for proper fit, you'll use the shellholder made for the 30.06 cartridge rather than the true spec Swede 65x55 when you use Remington or Win brass.
The Lapua brass is proper spec on case head diameter and thickness as well as web diameter..The Rem brass is formed from base 30.06 ..
For the Swede Milsurp chamners, I find that Lapua brass gives best accuracy and longest case life of any other brass I have used including Norma.jim

Ed Novak
Posted - 11/20/2005 : 12:26:27 PM

Thanks, gentlemen. Now, I wish I'd invested in Lapua brass rather than Rem. brass, just to make life simpler. Houstonfrank: You are correct, if I am not careful to gently raise the ram while feeling the brass touching the expander I will crush the case neck. Well, back to MidwayUSA for a #3 shellholder and look for Lapua brass and a longer cleaning rod for the M96 and... ed

Tony C.
Posted - 11/20/2005 : 3:23:53 PM

the Win brass I bought mics at 0.498 or so, which is the correct diameter, not the standard german mauser 12mm dimension of 0.473.

Ed Novak
Posted - 11/20/2005 : 4:00:00 PM

Tony: .498 seems overlarge to me. 12.2mm dimension is given for rim diameter in my Speer No.11 manual (very, very old manual)= .480". I miked my Rem. brass and most measure .474 with one going .478 out of a batch of 20rds; consistency not likely here, methinks, unless I mike all 100rds. Don't know how important this rim/head diameter is, though. I foresee some chamber slop though with these .474" heads and that is not conducive to rd-to-rd consistency in the Swedish Mauser? Frankly, I have been shooting the LE for decades and significant chamber variability is a "given" with these rifles so I don't know what to expect from the M96 and M38. I suspect that the Swede's kept the chambers somewhat more consistent than were the LEs. ? TIA. ed

MrTenX
Posted - 11/20/2005 : 5:47:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ed Novak
Well, back to MidwayUSA for a #3 shellholder and look for Lapua brass and a longer cleaning rod for the M96 and...

MidwayUSA has 6.5 Swede Lapua brass on sale for $42.99 per 100 right now. Not a bad price however, Bruno Shooters Supply has the best price at .38 cents each.
Heres a link-
http://www.brunoshooters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BSS&Category_Code=7L

mman
Posted - 11/21/2005 : 10:16:17 AM

I have yet to find a medium caliber that would not digest IMR4895 well. Indeed, except for some smaller .22's I have only used two propellents for the last 15 years, IMR4895 and IMR4350. Never loaded the 6.5 but suspect these two would work well depending on bullet weight?

That may change? I've recently aquired a .270 WSM and a .243 WSSM and may find something else better for them...? OTOH, factory premium ammo shoots so well and two boxes will last me the rest of my life. Won't have room for that many trophys on the wall anyway.

If I was about to run out of 4895, it would be time to buy another case....or two...

Jack

1 - 1 of 1 Posts