Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the relative qualities of the MN rifle comparative between production countries? I assume Finland is number 1 (Correct me if wrong...), but where to go from there? (Polish, Soviet, Hungarian, Finnish, Chinese, Albanian, etc)

Quality is judged by: fit, finnish, durability, accuracy

·
Premium Member
105,713 Posts
I would put Polish 1st, Finnish 2nd, and then the rest of your list. But I would put Chinese last.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
It's not easy to answer.

Polish 1st almost without any doubt.

About the others I don't have a definitive answer.
The Albanian made Mosin Nagants are well made as the hungarians or the romanians.
About the Soviets...In some years (1942-43) the rifles were crudely finished, and others ( the early years for the m91s or the laters for the m44s, like the '47 or '48) that were very well made.

Usually the Finn are fine rifles.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
A minty original post WW II Soviet M44 is an equal to a Polish M44, and a minty T-53 is right in there with them. All three have excellent metallurgy. A Finn is probably the best ever "parts" rifle. Don't forget the beauty and accuracy of a Remington or a New England Westinghouse M91. DDR

·
Premium Member
9,938 Posts
Differences are minor in some regards. These were battle rifles and they served that purpose well. I do think the fit and finish in some is better but that has no real bearing on what they were made for.

Finns - Well.... They did use older Russian - Soviet parts but new barrels, new stocks, new sights, new hardware, and the like do make these a class in their own.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
The Finns are in a class by themselves. I don't think any other country did as much to improve the trigger/sear release, general accuracy, or stock design of a Mosin battle rifle. DDR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts