Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not strictly a military pistol question. I’m looking at an early 1911 from around 1913. It has been refinished but looks good. It has no “United States Property” markings. There is also no “C” in front of the 5 digit serial no. Did all the early 1911’s have the prefix “C” on their serial numbers? I know some of you guys are real high speed on theses old Colts. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,898 Posts
The US Property marks were often removed to conceal theft. The slide should still have 1911 US ARMY markings and the frame should have an inspector mark near the mag release. There should be an H on top of the frame near the disconnector. Commercial 1911's will have a C prefix.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you gentlemen.

The slide marking is indeed correct. However someone did a very good job of removing both the “United States Property” marking and the “H” from the left side of the frame before refinishing it. Not the usual crude scratch off job you see so often. I wish they hadn’t done that, but I’m not truly a collector and the price is about what I would pay for a new or good used Colt anyway. Now I won’t feel so bad about shooting it.

I love shooting the old guns. The sense of history I get from it is amazing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts