Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question about 91/30 refurbs......at what time frame were these refurbed? Where any refurbed 91/30's used in any conflicts. I have a 143 Ishevsk that has a refurb mark on the barrel,in a pre-war stock and she ain't pretty. It is as a farmer would say "Rode hard and put away wet." This looks like it was used hard, when I took it apart there was a lot of crud, some dead bug bodies and dried grease. There is no import bilboard on the left side of the receiver, but has a small hard to see import mark on the barrel. There is also a mark on the left side of the receiver that is "42", very similar to the Finn 41 mark.

·
Registered
6,499 Posts
My first M44, bought in the early 1990s and sold to cover "bachelor food" like Ramen noodles and rent and other associated costs of impoverished student-dom was a 1944 Izhevsk with the faint CAI marking under the barrel, and a badly worn laminate stock that looked for all the world like it was used as a fence post someplace above the arctic circle. So there are some rough condition ex-Soviet-provenance rifles out there, that is for sure.

The time frame for refurbishment was literally from the 1950s through the 1970s. Maybe some never got finished or completed? Who knows?

As for post-WWII conflicts involving 91/30s, I think that this was limited to a) the Korean War where the KPA had very, very many Soviet WWII-vintage arms, and b) the Hungarian Revolution in November 1956. Most so-called "Wars of National Liberation" I'm familiar with that the Mosin-Nagant showed up in would involve M44s for the most part, and some M38s.

I'm sure folks would welcome pictures of your acquisition, and it might generate much more informed replies than mine! Sounds like a pretty interesting 1943 Izhevsk! My own refurbs stop at 1941... Someday that might change.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Agreed (WWII- c. 1980). Also seems certain types were refurbed in groups. I note with interest all the recent ex-snipers, DDR Rifles, and the admittedly few Tikka and recapture refurbs that all showed up together.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
Doesn't matter WHEN it was refurbished....if it is dated World War II or earlier it is most certain it saw battle action. The army needed and used every rifle they could get!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.