Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NO

it is, what it is, re bluing will not enhance or restore the pistol, the minute it hit the dip tank, it became non collectible
I wasn't thinking about restoring the collectability of the firearm as much as just knowing is it possible to go back to just a blue finish? I guess another way to ask is how may times can a firearm be refinished?

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
As long as the critical surfaces are not degraded too much, there's no limit to how many times a gun can be refinished.
As example, some of the M1 Rifles and Carbines brought back from Korea in the 90's had been bead blasted and re-parkerized so many times the receiver stamps were almost unreadable. And the US stamped those markings DEEP.

Theoretically, as long as the critical surfaces of the steel isn't so worn away by polishing, bead blasting, or chemical action, you can refinish a gun until it looks like a bar of soap.

Its very possible to blue a nickel plated pistol, BUT...... the nickle finish has to be absolutely 100% stripped from every possible recess or crevice and the surfaces or the bluing will come out with what appear to be white freckles.

The only really reliable way to strip it is to have a professional firearms refinisher strip the finish using a reversal of the process.
Instead of depositing nickle on the metal, the reversed process removes it.

For this you need a good professional gun refinisher, not a bike or auto shop.
One other advantage is the pros can strip the nickle, any copper under coat that may be on it, and give it whatever new finish you want.
Due to the chemicals and pre-bluing polishing some of the edges and stamps may be washed out a little.

These days this kind of hand labor is not cheap because experts don't work for minimum wage.
Even botch job work is not cheap and you can have cheaper work or good work.....choose ONE.
Here's some people who can do it all, who won't screw it up........

Cogan Possibly the best all around gun refinisher there is.

Ford's Custom Gun Refinishing | Crystal River, FL

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,412 Posts
If a handgun has been chrome plated or nickel finished or should I say refinished, can that firearm be rerefinished back to its original blue finish?
We see a serious conceptual issue here - traditional chrome or nickle plating needs a base coat of copper (not bluing) to adhere properly.
Bluing is not, nor was it ever a prelude to nickle or chrome, & the normal procedure for both of these finish processes starts with bare metal.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Spending the money to remove the chrome finish, prepare the surface for rebluing and then rebluing would probably fare exceed the cost of getting a blued one initially. The money spent to "redo" will NEVER be recoverable. As said by Capt. Jack above, "It is, what it is, re bluing will not enhance or restore the pistol, the minute it hit the dip tank, it became non collectible " It is no more than an undesirable pistol which can be used as nothing more than a shooter with very little value.

My suggestion, leave it along and sell it to some who wants a plated Luger and buy a blued one.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Picked up a Waffen-marked, FN 1922 cheap many years ago - nickel-plated, with clear 'sweetheart' grips. Unfortunately, no photo of some WWII GI's dream-girl was included. I still like it and wouldn't refinish. I'm sure it's worth more today than I paid.

Mark D.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.