Gunboards Forums banner

Refinishing an older SxS ....

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  RuralTurtle 
#1 ·
I've got an older Stevens 511 in 12 Gauge (3"). It's been a decent bird gun and for informal clay blasting.

I've kind of been kicking around refinishing the stock. It's in pretty good shape, but the finish leaves a lot to be desired.

So, curious if this is a good idea or not. If so, any tips on getting it done?

I can post pics if it is of interest. Thanks.

#2 ·
I don't think the Steven's SxS's hold much if any collectors value. They were inexpensive work guns that still serve their owners well. I plan on refinishing the stock on my old 311A one of these days. I have used it for everything from dove to deer and it gets the job done.

#3 ·
Just pull the stock, remove the old finish with a stripper if needed, but do not use water, sand in fine and progressively finer grits using a block to avoid wrecking the fit. I prefer tung oil, lots of coats of apply, let dry a half hour, wipe off, repeat. Gives a deep satin finish when you put on enough coats, but there's an infinite number of finishes you can use .

#4 ·
I don't think you will hurt the value; probably will improve if it needs refinishing.
Like Wynn said, it's just a shotgun.

#5 ·
Yep, I know this double-gun has nothing in the way of collector value. I just thought it would be a neat project. That and I'm starting to get cabin fever with how the weather has been. ;)

Thanks all for the info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.