Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
That looks real nice, how dark was the wood when you started? My 91/30 looked like that, only lighter, right before I put on the Tru Oil, which left a little shine, just like the original shellac.

But as it sits is about how my Mauser looks...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It's very clean feeling.
First take denatured alcohol and steel wool to strip the shellac and gummy feel from it. After this i sanded it down with 80 grit sand paper to the woods natural state. from there I went to 150, then to 320.I then sealed the wood with 3 to 1 tung oil and alchol. I then used minwax red mahogony. this color was way too blonde. I thought it would be alot deeper color. So I went to the local saddle shop and picked up some fiebing's medium brown leather dye. rubbed 4 coats of this on then let it sit for a day to soak in. After this I applied 4 coats of tung oil to finish it and the last one I sanded in with 1000 grit sand paper.
Originally the wood loooked very simialar to this:
http://www.davesguns.com/serverpics/UsedPage/Mosin-Nagant-Long-01.jpg
It was in worse shape though. Dinged up and very sticky for some reason. I chose that color to hide imperfections. That slings giving me fits what needs to be done? Besides making a new hole in the fore collar to make it tighter?

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,091 Posts

·
Banned
540 Posts
The Yugo's refurbed M 44's almost the same way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
backwards indeed. that's probably why the damn collars aren't fitting correctly. thanks guys I'm very happy with the finished product. Hope it shoots good. if it was counterbored would this be very visible? I can't decide if it is or isn't?

Cassidy Bond

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
okay i did this and the cartridge goes in farther than yours, but doesn't go to the casing. So idk. The bore appears to have strong rifling, i just can't tell much about it at the crown. it appears to be there but goes in a little farther than yours.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The color is similar to a polish M44 I have. I don't know for sure, but maybe the stickiness was from the cosmoline? I have 2 K98 Russian captures that are sticky, but I haven't tried to clean them at all yet.

·
Admin Emeritus
19,077 Posts
I like them the way they look in its original form. Its not ugly but you did strip away its history.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,133 Posts
I like them the way they look in its original form. Its not ugly but you did strip away its history.
Vic is correct. As always!:D

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.