Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a russian makarov back in 96. Unfortunately it developed pitting on the slide. I had the wonderful finish put on it called Tuff-Gun, he got all the pitting out and it made this gun transform from a delicate instrument that would rust when I looked at it to a durable modernish pistol. I highly recommend it. I wish every gun I owned had this finish, it is 100% better than blueing and looks 100% better than Duracoat.

But anyway seeing as these guns become more and more valuable is there any way to prove that it is russian now that it doesn't have the markings on the slide? I never plan on selling it but I am just curious how much less its worth since I "fixed" it?

·
Administrator
4,885 Posts
Pics. would help, I'm assuming by TUFF-GUN it was done by Macs. Since these particular guns aren't highly collectible it probably didn't hurt the value and may actually increased it a little bit for someone interested in a carry gun that they don't have to spend a lot of time careing for.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pics. would help, I'm assuming by TUFF-GUN it was done by Macs. Since these particular guns aren't highly collectible it probably didn't hurt the value and may actually increased it a little bit for someone interested in a carry gun that they don't have to spend a lot of time careing for.
Camerea is batteryless at the moment, it was macs, I just had him do the slide, the frame was OK and it still has the serial number.

These are great guns, my favorite feature is they are relatively quiet. Anyway I think you aleviated my worries, hope I never have to sell it anyhow. Is keeping it in a leather holster long term a bad idea? Haven't found a non-leather holster to fit it.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Yes, keeping it in a holster can be a bad idea. Most modern leathers are chrome tanned, not sure of Russian processes but it is likely similar. They can have acids which can attack carbon steel, even stainless steel. This is especially true if they get damp, as might be the case in high humidity. They can cause rust and discoloration. Better to keep it wrapped in an lightly oiled rag, be careful what oil of course, rather than a leather holster. Have you ever seen an old belt or shoe carelessly stored which had caused all the brass or metal to corrode? Same principle.

I cleaned a knife my father left in one for several years, and it was a mess. The steel and brass guard were both highly coroded. In my first days of knife making I wet molded my sheaths without covering the blade, and it caused rust , in a few hours, on ATS34 stainless steel blades, a carbon was even worse.

·
Administrator
4,885 Posts
While long term storage in a leather holster isn't a good idea, the TUFF-GUN finish will protect the slide, you'll need to keep a eye on the frame.

I've got a parts gun I'm getting ready to send to Mac to have it TUFF-GUN coated to replace my carry Bulgie. I carry it in Galco leather holster and some times it doesn't get a lot of attention.

Check out the FOBUS holsters, they're made out ofa polymer and a lot of people like them, they have a couple different models for Maks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, keeping it in a holster can be a bad idea. Most modern leathers are chrome tanned, not sure of Russian processes but it is likely similar. They can have acids which can attack carbon steel, even stainless steel. This is especially true if they get damp, as might be the case in high humidity. They can cause rust and discoloration. Better to keep it wrapped in an lightly oiled rag, be careful what oil of course, rather than a leather holster. Have you ever seen an old belt or shoe carelessly stored which had caused all the brass or metal to corrode? Same principle.

I cleaned a knife my father left in one for several years, and it was a mess. The steel and brass guard were both highly coroded.

Problem is I have a safety rule that I never keep a gun unholstered even if its for extended times in the safe (I keep all my guns loaded RFU). I was thinking coating it with remoil it would be OK in the leather holster I found. If not anyone know an alternative holster that fits the mighty Makarov ?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
If you prefer using leather when you carry there are any number of cheap nylon holsters on the market which you could use to comply with your safety rule. Buy an Uncle Mikes holster, they have some nice ones, and keep the pistol in it and the leather nearby. You normally have to remove the pistol to put a holster on the belt, so you simply put the leather on and slide the pistol out of the nylon and into the leather.

I have a few different Uncle Mikes holsters which I keep in different emergency kits, they are good value for the buck.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Problem is I have a safety rule that I never keep a gun unholstered even if its for extended times in the safe (I keep all my guns loaded RFU). I was thinking coating it with remoil it would be OK in the leather holster I found. If not anyone know an alternative holster that fits the mighty Makarov ?
FIST makes holsters for the Mak in both leather, Kydex and a combination of the two. (The same Kydex holster will hold a CZ-82 as well - don't know if that's true for the leather and hybrid models.) The kydex models are very thin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.