Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone again,

So nice to finally have several year long projects coming to completion. This is the dot1944 that you may have seen me ask some questions recently about. Thank you to all who helped, especially mrfarb and Bill in Ohio.

This is a 33000a block rifle which is almost certainly a 44 receiver completed in 1945 before the switch to swp45 occurred in the mid 40000a's. As such I did a 'period correct' refinish on it as is the focus of my collecting. It has a semi-Kriegsmodel stock with takedown disc. The bolt has drilled holes and no guide piece as well as rough milled parts and a reddish extractor. Unfortunately I have no been able to reproduce a phosphate finish on the bolt as would have been appropriate, but you can't always get everything you want! Bolt release has a hump, and rear sight is unmarked underneath. The trigger guard is all stamped and has the latewar 2 screw feature.

Please enjoy the pictures!

·
Moderator / Diamond member
3,697 Posts
Man, you did good! I personally prefer the restored look to the "as reworked" look of the RC. Two thumbs up on all your hard work, it payed off.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
i really like the look of the wood on that stock..mind me asking what you had to do to get it to look so good?did it look like most rc stocks when you started?..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks for the comments. It definitely turned out quite nice. I haven't shot it yet, but hopefully will be able to soon. The barrel is clean and shines like a mirror!

As far as the stock goes, to be honest I picked it off of a dou.45 czech rifle, "i" block. I prefer to stay away from post-war non-German parts, but as far as most people know it seems the Czech's made dou.45's for the Germans up until at least the "f" block. Seeing as it had the Eagle-H stamp I was happy enough calling these parts German made. As you might be able to tell I basically kept the bolt, stock, and barrel bands off the rifle and put in the dot1944 receiver and barrel in it. Quite a lucky find, I didn't have to touch this stock.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hot Blonde

Awesome look. Who wants a grubby gal from Kazakhstan when you can have a hot blonde German chick like that anyway?

Classic light blonde look collectors look for. I keep harping on it, but buy into the denatured alcohol and no sanding BS, and you’ll never get that look. If you're going to be a Bubba, you might as well be a successful Bubba.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Nice refinish! What's your recipe on the stock refinish? Please share. I've sanded one of my RC k98 stocks before using an electric belt sander but I couldn't get it to look like yours. Maybe I wasn't removing enough wood though. But still I think I was missing something. Maybe the oil finish? I used Danish oil on mine and still didn't look "right." How did you do yours?:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice refinish! What's your recipe on the stock refinish? Please share... But still I think I was missing something. Maybe the oil finish? I used Danish oil on mine and still didn't look "right." How did you do yours?:D
sn1945,

I use denatured alcohol to remove shellac. If necessary I use a 200+ grit sand paper as well (very lightly), but not usually. I let it dry out, then I just rub in Boiled Linseed Oil, BLO. That's all! Just wear rubber gloves with the DA. No need to add any other sorts of oils or finishes.

·
Registered
285 Posts
sn1945,

I use denatured alcohol to remove shellac. If necessary I use a 200+ grit sand paper as well (very lightly), but not usually. I let it dry out, then I just rub in Boiled Linseed Oil, BLO. That's all! Just wear rubber gloves with the DA. No need to add any other sorts of oils or finishes.
I think the BLO is what's missing in my own recipe. Danish Oil was the only "oil" finish available at Home Depot when I started my project last year. I was too lazy to go to Dixieline or some other hardware store. So I ended up really doing a melee on the stock by sanding it to hell with a belt sander just to get the lighter look. I'll try it next time with some BLO.

·
Moderator / Diamond member
3,697 Posts
What program do you use for your pictures?

I am trying to put some on the board but having problems. Using image shack.
Use the Gunboards photo hosting- when you make a post there is a "Manage Attachments" button below the window for text, in the Additional options. You click that button and follow the directions.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
nice job! can i ask what happened to the original finish that made you refinish it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts