Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had posted pics on the old "new board" of my rain collection barrels but since that is kaput I will post again here. In Texas we had a very wet June and July but August, September and most of October were very dry. So I was glad when a cold front brought a little needed rain recently. Even though we only got about .75 inch it filled my barrels up to half capacity (about 200 gallons collected).
This winter I plan to purchase a Big Berkey water filter with black berkey filters so I could safely drink this water in an emergency. The odds of ever losing municipal water are very low but the consequences of having no water are dire. I don't like to rely on others to provide water in an emergency the way my parents had to in LA after an earthquake.
D.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You could boil it but you're using energy that could be used to cook food or keep you warm. If your water is knocked out what are the odds of having electricity/gas also? Not a problem if you have an unlimited supply of firewood. Filtering gets out all the suspended solids, impurities, dead bacteria, etc that will still be floating around in your boiled water.
I'm not worried about freezing so much here. Plenty of room for expansion in the barrels if it did freeze though.
D.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The barrels (white and blue) you see in the pictures above are very thick (maybe 1/8 inch plus in places), food grade plastic and are very sturdy. I think they could be burried with no problem. I got my barrels free from a winery. The barrels are used to transport juice and wine and are usually not reused.
It would be a lot of work to bury them. Also would be difficult to see what the water level is inside unless you had some kind of float or dip stick.
D.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.