Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Redfield USMC M40 Commemorative Rifle Scopes

Would this be correct if one wanted to build a reproduction M40 or M21 sniper rifle?

I gather (??) never used on a 03A4 sniper rifle. Just want to ask that but suspect not done so by US military.

·
Gold Bullet member
14,242 Posts
Those replica scopes are no where near an exact copy but are not bad. It may be close enough if you are building a replica M40 or scoping a commemortive but if you plan on using it in matches you should check the match rules.

Personally, I would look for a Redfield accurange with an intact tombstone, even in gloss black. They can be found but tend to be pricey. I recently passed on one for $140 and have been kicking myself ever since. Having just bought a Unertl at the same show I was in financial distress. Typically they are much more than that, much more. I have 2 though.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Those replica scopes are no where near an exact copy but are not bad. It may be close enough if you are building a replica M40 or scoping a commemortive but if you plan on using it in matches you should check the match rules.

Personally, I would look for a Redfield accurange with an intact tombstone, even in gloss black. They can be found but tend to be pricey. I recently passed on one for $140 and have been kicking myself ever since. Having just bought a Unertl at the same show I was in financial distress. Typically they are much more than that, much more. I have 2 though.
MIKE!! $140? and you had to pass? Wow, that is crazy low. They are usually five times that.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Hi-Lux Leatherwood is supposed to come out with a faithful replica of the USMC M40 scope very shortly (I was told this month by a sales rep) They had some trouble duplicating the OD green color from Vietnam. The Black version has been out for a few months. I got to look at a prototype of the green M40 and it is a very nice scope.

·
Registered
21,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi-Lux Leatherwood is supposed to come out with a faithful replica of the USMC M40 scope very shortly (I was told this month by a sales rep) They had some trouble duplicating the OD green color from Vietnam. The Black version has been out for a few months. I got to look at a prototype of the green M40 and it is a very nice scope.

Redfield USMC M40 scope not used on M14 / M21 sniper rifles ?

Still hoping to clarify this please ?

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Redfield USMC M40 scope not used on M14 / M21 sniper rifles ?

Still hoping to clarify this please ?
I used a DMR M-14 for a time in the Marine Corps and it used the 10x Unerll scope on it which was the same as the M40 back then . The Marine Corps used the M14 in Vietnam but not as a main sniper weapon. Armorers used to put on their own scopes. The Marines used model 70 Winchesters in 'nam with Unertl 1-1/4" Combination Target scopes early and Remington M40 rifles with Redfield 3x9 Accurange scopes later. The Army used M21 rifles with Leatherwood scopes. The Marines however did use M14's usually with any commercial scope they could find.

View attachment 792443 View attachment 792444 View attachment 792445 View attachment 792446 View attachment 792447 View attachment 792448 View attachment 792449 View attachment 792450

·
Banned
155 Posts
Lets be honest for a second, the only correct scope would be a REAL scope. Chances are you could get away with a M84 assuming you had one in your parts box. Those $499 Redfield that you see in green, that are limited editions of 1000 are not made by Redfield, they are Leopolds! how do you go wrong there? The glass is clear and it is mil-dot. You can save money on mounts by going to the gun show and finding your own mount and rings in someone's junk box and having them parked.

Redfield USMC M40 Commemorative Rifle Scopes

Would this be correct if one wanted to build a reproduction M40 or M21 sniper rifle?

I gather (??) never used on a 03A4 sniper rifle. Just want to ask that but suspect not done so by US military.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.