Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Reddish-brown paint on stock Type 38 Jap

Topic:

Topic author: Maj Rich Hardin USMC
Subject: Reddish-brown paint on stock Type 38 Jap
Posted on: 05/25/2005 1:57:29 PM
Reddish-brown paint on the stock of a Type 38 Japanese Arisaka.

I just picked up a Type 38 this paint on the stock (not on the metal). It reminds me of the type of paint used on ships decks...sort of non-skid.
I found a dealer that has a Japanese rifle for sale that has the same color paint on that one.
Is this period application? Could it have been for sea duty, tropical duty or ceremonial?
Anyone know?
Please respond to [email protected]
Semper Fi,
Rich

Replies:

Reply author: The Outlaw Josey Whales
Replied on: 05/25/2005 11:11:30 PM
Do you mean wood finish or literal paint? I'm not sure of any stocks ever being painted to tropicalize them and the normal wood finish held up for Navy use (although some speculate the navy painted the metal on their rifles black). Brett

Reply author: vis35
Replied on: 05/26/2005 12:23:20 AM
Do they have import marks? A lot of T-38’s were imported from China back in the 80’s, I have not seen any of them that had painted stocks, however back about 15 years ago I sold many SKS’s that were reconditioned by the Chinese, the metal was reblued (looked just like new, an excellent job) but the stocks had all been painted with a reddish-brown paint.
Regards,
Jeff

Reply author: BradB
Replied on: 05/26/2005 07:09:34 AM
My type 02/45 and my naval trainer have what looks like a deck-paint finish. Not imports. When I got the 02/45, I considered stripping bubba's work. When I saw the trainer one month later with the EXACT same stock and hardware, it occurred to me that it was the original Japanese finish. I would not much with it unless you are POSITIVE. Imports will have a stamp.

Gunboards : http://old.gunboards.com/

© 2000-2006 Gunboards

1 - 1 of 1 Posts