Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i picked up a 35 Tula not long ago and all its serial numbers and elevation sight numbers are in red. just curious if anyone has any insight on the matter. it doesnt look like anybody painted it because theres no mess outside the stamped groves.

· Registered
899 Posts
You see alot of those in different colours. Orange, red, white. I have one M91/30 that has all numbers including serial number in red like yours. Not sure of who or why. Looks cool though doesn't it?

· Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,534 Posts

None of your business.
17,534 Posts
Sweet!

The pattern continues....

Wish I could tell you what pattern that is :D

I have a couple of M44's with the same mark, but no red.

· Registered
1,756 Posts
My 1st Mosin is a '36 Tula Repro PU and in red. My 2nd Mosin is a 42 Izhevsk in white. I was told, waaaay back then, that it was something the importers did just to make them easier for the hand-picking option. They supposedly rub them with something and it leaves the color in the lettering and numbers. I was assured that it was not done as a Soviet/Russian thing. I thought it looked good, as well, and never cleaned it out. I am actually very careful not to clean THAT area too much after shooting them. ;)

OH! I also have others that have partially-filled markings, like that, of various colors, mostly red or reddish-orange. I have actually considered doing it to all of mine, as it makes them easier to ID, at a glance, now that my eyes are going south. ;)

None of your business.
17,534 Posts
So far, board members who have reported a "reddish" deposit on their 91/30's, have also reported a /25\ on their rifles. If I remember correctly. So, if the importers did this, then why in red, and on rifles with a /25\ on them? If you have been on this board awhile, you know what I am talking about. It's not a special mark, but it seams to occur on 91/30's that have the /25\ mark. :confused: That's why I asked.

By the way. My M44's are not in red. It's white, but of the same consistency.

· Registered
1,267 Posts
I have this 1936 Tula ex-PE sniper with reddish/orange highlighting. No triangle 25 marking. The serial number you can see the red really well but it's very light and spotty everywhere else.

· Registered
899 Posts
After reading the other posts. I got a magnifying glass & a flash light & sure enough there is the bottom part of a triangle with some partial markings that I can't read in it. I had never noticed it before because it is so poorly stamped. Mine is between the date & the serial number. Is everyones in the same place? Ted shows it as an "unknown Soviet.

None of your business.
17,534 Posts
See what I'm say'in!

Nice MO! Nice 33 JC!

None of your business.
17,534 Posts
I have this 1936 Tula ex-PE sniper with reddish/orange highlighting. No triangle 25 marking. The serial number you can see the red really well but it's very light and spotty everywhere else.
Don't quite cut it there.

· Registered
1,430 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.