Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the deal with the Mosins that have red paint in the barrel lettering and sight leaf? Is that just an importer thing, or some sort of refurb addition, or what? Seen a few of them and just never really thought to ask until now... :confused:

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,812 Posts
This is not done by the importer as I see crates fresh come in with half with red and half with nothing.
Sometimes its white.

Generally you will get the triangle 25 with this "crayon" color in.
I see no reason for the arsenals to do this so I am guessing its dress upfor export.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have no data to prove this, but I've always contended that it was something that happened as part of refurbishment. someone prove me wrong but I've only ever seen it on refurbs. So perhaps during a certain era part fo teh refurb process was to fill in the markings to make them easier to se in lower light or soemthing. Just spitballing here.

·
Silver Bullet Member
182 Posts
Got a red lettered bayonet with my PM marked (Non red-lettered) 1932 Izhevsk. The red letters look good on the bayonet.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a 1938 Tula M91/30 with the red lettering and /25\ mark. It is almost all period correct Tula parts except for some bolt parts. It even has its original 1938 dated Tula stock. It does not wear a refurb mark anywhere. I dont think this was done by an importer, I think it was done at refurbishment. It was imported by Century.

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,504 Posts
Any one have one with the /25\ mark, AND a ordinarily seen refurb mark? My thought is that these are from a refurb facility. The /25\ mark being their stamp of approval. Most I have had, and the 1940 Izhevesk I have now, seem to be in nicer shape than most, and no other refurb marks.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,812 Posts
Any one have one with the /25\ mark, AND a ordinarily seen refurb mark? My thought is that these are from a refurb facility. The /25\ mark being their stamp of approval. Most I have had, and the 1940 Izhevesk I have now, seem to be in nicer shape than most, and no other refurb marks.
Yes Gary, I have owned 5 with the 25 marking and all had white or red crayon so I would say it has to do with that. It could meAn 25 is a country or possibly a refurb factory.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Likely a very simple explanation for the red and white lettering sometimes seen... and what would probably happen somewhere around here....

I bet the Accountants in the Capital made the arsenal go take inventory every so often.... Probably not well lit... Old guys with increasingly poor vision... They got tired of having to pick up each of 1 million rifles and carefully eyeball it to decipher letters poorly stamped into the metal, in a dark room... so someone along the lines went at them with a grease pencil.... Then - you could read them right off the rack...

This doesn't explain the sights... but it's probably not far off the sights either... Maybe so some Sergeant can see that each Trainee has their sights set at the right level while he walks down the line....

It would be the perfect sort of work to assign "Reservists" on their 1 day a month muster in.... kinda like around here how you go unload a truck full of rocks... then load all the rocks back into the truck.....

Thanks

·
Registered
21,255 Posts
Don't throw stones as I have not tracked the \25/ marking on each Mosin that I saw red or white outlining on. I know to look for that as there appears to be a trend this marking and colors on parts of such marked rifles.

My thoughts though is this white or red coloration is a form of polishing rouge to buff up the re blued parts. I have found this white and / or red stuff all over interior parts and it wipes off with a paper towel. It sticks in numbers and lettering and probably hardens there with age.

\25/ facility or arsenal might just be using white or red buffing compound and other refurb facilities don't or clean it off rifles thoroughly.

·
Registered
727 Posts
My 1944 Izhevsk M38 has white paint on the rear sight and all serial #'s. It was under the cosmoline. No refurb marks that I can find. The mag floor plate has the white paint and shows no signs of buffing though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.